Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More "period correct" alternative to the ZHP knob for $30! And it matches Mtech!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More "period correct" alternative to the ZHP knob for $30! And it matches Mtech!

So I was searching for a new knob to replace my no name set-screw knob that was on the car when I bought it. I saw a ton of people using the ZHP and while I like the way it looks, it just doesn't seem to "flow" with the 90's interior of the E30.

I almost bought the febi/bilstein knob when I decided to hit up ebay to see what kind of cheap knobs were out there. I stumbled upon this one and scooped it up for ~$27 shipped from Bulgaria.

10 business days later it was at the door and I threw it on.

It isn't weighted much but it feels great on the stock E30 shifter and looks awesome too. If I hadn't already acquired a momo I might have tried to find a used Mtech to match it.

I'll be happy to take more pics if anyone is interested.

Interesting...does it flex much or is it pretty solid?
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I like this, Considering the mechinch who did my trans broke my lighted knob.
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        Interesting...does it flex much or is it pretty solid?
        Very solid, no flex.

It is OEM quality IMO.

Comment

lol OEM came out with that piece of SHIT gummy knob. but this one looks nice. and a good price.
          1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
          1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
          1974 2002tii / stock
          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

I can't say I like it.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28
            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

A little too square for me. I still like the leather doorknob "mtech" one best.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

ZHP matches depending on what other bits you go with IMO. This one I'm trying hard to like but just can't bring myself to. Seems a bit too square as someone else mentioned and the emblem on the top seems a little too big.

Comment

I bought one. Haven't driven the car with it in yet but the quality was disappointing. Its "alright" for the price but I guess I was just expecting more.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I think this is more period correct. In fact, its the NLA leather door knob shifter that shows up on RealOEM for our cars.

It's about $40 shipped from bimmerbum.com. He lists it in his store, but you have to email him directly to get it.

Pardon my craptastic interior.

Comment

^You sure that is a real OEM one? Thats the first aftermarket knob I bought and It was pretty decent but not an OEM knob.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

What does it weigh?
                        sigpic
                        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                          What does it weigh?
                          Its not a weighted knob. Haven't weighed it but it probably weighed less than a factory E30 knob.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                            ^You sure that is a real OEM one? Thats the first aftermarket knob I bought and It was pretty decent but not an OEM knob.
                            Was yours leather? All I have found of the door knob style for sale are those crappy larger rubber ones. It may not be OEM, but it's pretty damn close. If you've ever seen an E21 shifter, it's essentially that.

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                            What does it weigh?
                            No clue. It certainly isn't weighted tho, which I prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                              Was yours leather? All I have found of the door knob style for sale are those crappy larger rubber ones. It may not be OEM, but it's pretty damn close. If you've ever seen an E21 shifter, it's essentially that.

Ya mine was leather just like yours. It felt nice but I wanted a shorter knob so I got a ZHP. What I really want is a leather door knob style with the M stripe in the upper left like decal shown in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X