Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install heated seat wiring kit from a e30

Hi there ,

Okay well first i have whole wiring harness and plugs from a e30 and like to know how to install this to my car that never came with heated seats ?

On the end or the wires it has plugs like it would plug somewhere into the harness of the car just dont know where ?

I've searched and have not seen anything on this anyone can help me out ?

Thanks for looking
    Jp

here you go http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/367372
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    ---------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I've seen this link in several retro-fit threads, and it no longer loads. Is there another write-up with pics of a heated seat retrofit? I've got a '91 318i in which i just installed beautiful vert seats and want to hook up the heating elements.
      1976 2002 - "Augie"
      1976 2002 - "Ruby"
      1991 318i - "Ed"
      1995 525it - FOR SALE
      2001.5 S4 Avant 6MT - Family Hauler

Comment

If you don't have the OEM heated seat harness you will have to get one from a donor car, and to get the harness out you will probably have to remove the carpet out to access it.

Installation of the OEM harness would be the reverse.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

I bought my kit several years ago from the dealer because my seats weren't orginally heated.

I didn't need to remove the carpet to install the kit as I was easily able to snake the wires from the center console under the carpet to come up under the seats (I did remove the seats though).

If you have the seats but not the wiring harness and switches, a donor car would be tremendously helpful.

I see your are in DC. If you ever get up to Baltimore, you are surely welcome look at my car to see how it gets wired.

Comment

I'm up in Baltimore pretty frequently, actually - my wife is in law school up there. I'd love to take a look at how you did this in your car - if I can avoid pulling the carpet I'd be very happy. I'll PM you next time I'm heading up and maybe we can meet up.
            1976 2002 - "Augie"
            1976 2002 - "Ruby"
            1991 318i - "Ed"
            1995 525it - FOR SALE
            2001.5 S4 Avant 6MT - Family Hauler

Comment

Just did this in my car. There is a massive plug block under the dash, and the heated seat harness plugs into the top right corner of it, and the ground I added to the massive grounding point under the dash. Then you just need to put a fuse in the fuse box and you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Clematis View Post
                I'm up in Baltimore pretty frequently, actually - my wife is in law school up there. I'd love to take a look at how you did this in your car - if I can avoid pulling the carpet I'd be very happy. I'll PM you next time I'm heading up and maybe we can meet up.
                Sounds good to me. My business is located in Aberdeen - about 30 more minutes north on I95. I have a lift and a fully equipped shop there. If you think you have the materials you need and you don't mind the extra drive, we can install the wiring and switches in a well lighted shop.

Or I can meet you downtown if you just want to see how it all goes together.

If you can give me a few days notice, it will help.

See you soon.

Doug

Comment

Here you go guys, sorry that old pics are gone...

Hi guys, bring it back due to popular demand, people have been asking me to update missing pics so took a few while parting a 91 325iC, enjoy.

Power block for harness next to blue relay

run harness like this ...

back towards driver seat, and over in front of seat rails.

across and under rear vents and up towards shifter

up trans and near parking brake handle

over trans and towards passanger side in front of seat rails...

under passanger side rear vents ...

carpet back on

center console, etc...

Comment

Thanks posting the pictures!

Jp

Comment

I have seen and heard if you open the fuse box the heated seat harness connection is there. That is if your car came equipped for it. Then its plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by GT BMW E30 View Post
                        I have seen and heard if you open the fuse box the heated seat harness connection is there. That is if your car came equipped for it. Then its plug and play.
                        Can you post link to that info ?

I retrofited both of my convertibles and this last pictures are from when dismantling a car that came with oem heated seats

All connected to power block above blue relay on this picture.,
                        unique plug with matching port to go into.

Comment

i have a fuse box out of the car i will double check. also is that power wire white with red stripe?

Comment

Im selling a heated seat kit complete and Ive been asked if the elements from a Cabrio heated seat (which is what I have) will fit in a hardtop car ? The PN's on realoem are different for the 2 body styles with leather sport seats.
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Jeff, sport seats centers are narrow, non sports seats are wider, perhaps they use a bigger pad for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X