Gauge cluster trim rings advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge cluster trim rings advice

I've been browsing for some trim rings to add some interest to my gauge cluster. I really like the look of these:

I've looked on eBay and elsewhere, and the rings being sold are different in these two ways:

Finish
    The finish above is described as satin silver. All the ones on eBay are either super chromed out (too shiny) or super matted with seemingly no shine.

Shape
    Notice how the front of the rings in the image above isn't rounded, it is flat with a hard edge. All the ones I've seen being sold have that rounded front (makes it look cheaper IMO).

Then there is this other shape that I've never seen installed before:

Anybody have any experience with any of this? I know sometimes the images used on eBay aren't exactly what they ship to you.
    1990 BMW 325i Coupe

I picked up a set from someone here or on e30tech, I don't recall which. They're more like the first pic, satin finish. I like em a lot.

Get the shape you're happy with, they're cheap and you can easily mod the surface texture to your liking.
    I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

The sharper ones are the newer style. Most prefer the older rounder ones. You'll have to ask the seller what ones you'll get. Cause a few had to return the ones they got, cause they got the wrong shape ones. Ordered ones that was round but got sharp ones instead. I've always used the round ones. They snap rite in, but sometimes the cluster needs to be sanded down so the ring will snap in place. It's not much, just a hair off.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Make sure you order the metal ones. I've heard a lot of horror stories of people getting the plastic ones and them not fitting/breaking upon installation. Never heard anyone complain about metal ones; they're produced with better quality

Comment

I got mine here from 87vert30 (Pummy). They are the rounded style.

I think he still has them on Ebay.
          Suspension tips here...
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I think i remember guten parts having some good quality ones, i would suggest taking a look at them if you ca find them
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

DO NOT buy the china chrome rings off e-bay they don't fit and they are too shiny with your cluster lights on reflection sucks stay with the aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by orville22 View Post
                DO NOT buy the china chrome rings off e-bay they don't fit and they are too shiny with your cluster lights on reflection sucks stay with the aluminum
                I'm probably going to buy these: [eBay link]

From the photos, they look not too shiny but not too matte. Rounded front face, but I haven't been able to find flat-face ones.
                Anybody have experience with this seller?
                1990 BMW 325i Coupe

Comment

I got mine in Crome aluminum finish and look cool after installs but those new style are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

do these rings help keep the light more focused?

Pic taken from janderson. Do they all look like this? This looks like it is lit from behind, is that because it's an M cluster?
                    Last edited by mcskibadee1; 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM.
                    sigpic
                    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I hated the chrome rings. Fitment was well, but the reflection made me constantly looking at the damn fuel guage because I thought the light kept coming on.
                      1997 Artic Silver M3
                      CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Theyre supposed to snap in? I had to put a couple of spots of glue on mine as they werent tight enough.

Old pic of mine:

The old round style. Dont know how it looks "cheap" though.

Comment

GutenParts used to sell the silver, flate/matte version. They fit well, but the gas and temp gauges were a bitch to get in. They look just like the rings in the pic the OP posted.

Plumy sold the polished silver version. They didn't fit that great, the speedo and tach rings were a tad to big, so they had to glued or modified to fit. They look like the pic above this post.

Any tips on how to remove them once installed? I want to switch a set to a different cluster, but they're really stuck on there.
                          sigpic
                          January 2012 COTM

Comment

would guess maybe a flat head against then bottom edge and just tap it out.

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                              GutenParts used to sell the silver, flate/matte version. They fit well, but the gas and temp gauges were a bitch to get in. They look just like the rings in the pic the OP posted.
                              I really like that look. So sad Guten Parts doesn't carry it anymore. Anybody know where I might find something similar (with the flat fronts)?
                              1990 BMW 325i Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X