Who's using a Child Seat in their e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
    Would much appreciate seeing how you mounted that through the rear shelf. Having an original sunshade rear shelf I am not too excited to cut into it, so I want to have a reference first. :)
    Yeah, sorry for forgetting. Truth is, I pulled the M3 from my storage locker and put a two day permit on it..................and...........I haven't stopped driving it.:)

I will post a pic tonight of where it's located.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I used the vert for nap time..two laps around the subdivision and they were out like a light, motorsport version of children's Dimetapp. afterwards , grab handle gently and into the house.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        yes, having your kid properly strapped in a car seat in an E30 is totally the same as having 5 kids in the back of an open pickup bed. :roll:
        My comment was directed at M-Technik-3, acknowledging the the way things used to be. Where is the comparison between riding in the back of a truck and car seats?
        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I bought an rear shelf anchor for a 2000 ford focus 4 door and mounted it in the rear shelf and a small brace under the bottom and used the child seat anchor belt with that anchor and the seat belt in my 91 325is. Worked just fine for me and laid down a towel from top to bottom where the seat would sit to protect it.
          Last edited by QUKBMER; 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by dudecati View Post
            One tip - when using the rear shoulder belts to secure a car seat, pull the belt ALL THE WAY then feed it back it out when installing the seat. This will make it so the belt doesn't move freely but 'locks' into position when it retracts - making for a secure seat and not one that moves around.

I usually put in the car seat, thread the belt as needed, then pull the belt all the way out, then let it retract, then put my knee into the seat so get as much of the belt to feed back into the mechanism which makes for a very secure seat. I do release the tension on the seat by unlatching it if the seat isn't going to be used for a day or two.
            Been trying to fit child seat in my E30 for joy ride with my kids but my rear seat belts don't lock when fullet extended, no ratchet effect... Had a spair set, checked it and they don't lock either. CHeck the classified, found a couple of guy parting out E30s... They all don't lock. I'm now at 6 sets of rear seat belts that don't lock... WTF!?!

And yeah, mine is a 1989 325i US model and all the five others were canadian models, with 2 1989 and one 1991. The others I don't know...

Where can I find rear seat belts that lock?
            E30 now S52
            2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
            325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

both of mine definitely lock.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I specifically remember the belts in my sedan didn't lock either. Odd.

That said, I can't speak for other seats, but our Recaros actually clamp the shoulder strap to keep things from loosening up, negating the ratchet effect.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                  Yeah, sorry for forgetting. Truth is, I pulled the M3 from my storage locker and put a two day permit on it..................and...........I haven't stopped driving it.:)

I will post a pic tonight of where it's located.
                  I absolutely love those permits. I don't keep tags on my Miata, but every once in a while I print out a 5 dollar transport tag and go for a joyride.

Shit, did I say that out loud?
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                    I specifically remember the belts in my sedan didn't lock either. Odd.

That said, I can't speak for other seats, but our Recaros actually clamp the shoulder strap to keep things from loosening up, negating the ratchet effect.
                    I'm pretty sure they all lock - they have to, or the shoulder belt would be useless. you just have to yank on them.

What I would usually do is pull out a specific amount of belt, yank on it to lock, and then buckle it down. getting the right amount of slack is the tough part, because you want it tight but you also want to be able to get it latched. as long as it was tight, it would stay locked.

I used to do the same thing up front for Autox, when I didn't have a better restraint mechanism. Kept me from sliding around in the seat. :p

These days my kids are in booster seats so it's no big deal, just put them on like regular seat belts.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, they lock if I yank on it, but not when fully extended, like my other cars...
                      E30 now S52
                      2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Well, there you go. that's how they work.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Holy zombie thread!

Sent from th
                          sigpic
                          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

MatRacer- You need one of these "locks" to use a child seat in an E30

Chris
                            90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Thread revival!

The E30s have ELR type retractors (Emergency Locking Retractors). This means that they will lock when yanked, but they won't ratchet/lock if you pull them ALL the way out and slowly feed them back in. You'll need a locking clip to make this a safe install:

Three conditions must be present to use a locking clip: an emergency locking retractor, a sliding latch plate and a lap and shoulder belt that is all one pie...

For many years, a locking clip was used to lock all lap and shoulder belts when installing a car seat. This was the only available method for locking the belt. Today, there are a number of other options available.

Comment

Babies don't belong in e30's
                                That's what minivans and SUV's are for
                                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X