Door panel fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door panel fabric

Looking to install new door and rear panels on my coupe with fabric instead of the all vinyl panels I have now. Since I have picked up some panels with fabric already(fabric is toast) to redo I was wondering how you attached the new fabric to the vinyl in place of the old fabric. Looks like BMW used some glue fused via heat and/or machine press to attach fabric to the vinyl. I've tested a few techniques (iron on fusible links, 3m contact spray) but nothing yet to convince me. Any input would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    dlm cold NY country

i think you're gonna have to go the same route as stereoinstaller1...
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah that way is a choice that I thought of but not leaning towards. The e30 door is a bit more involved since it has a pocket which the board would interfere with unless the board was built to skirt around the edges of the door pocket. Thanks for the input.
      dlm

Comment

If you don't want to make cards just sew them together like any other panel. It's not that difficult to sew inserts if you take your time.
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Just what I have been practicing with on a Singer Machine. I am thinking three rows of stitch in M Tech colors. I'm better at welding then sewing !!

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
            Just what I have been practicing with on a Singer Machine. I am thinking three rows of stitch in M Tech colors. I'm better at welding then sewing !!
            keep at it, it took me a while before I was able to keep a long seam really straight.

Just be sure your materials are all rated for automotive use or you'll be doing the job again in a couple years.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
              Yeah that way is a choice that I thought of but not leaning towards. The e30 door is a bit more involved since it has a pocket which the board would interfere with unless the board was built to skirt around the edges of the door pocket. Thanks for the input.
              dlm
              Actually, on the E30, its worse than that, the pocket is the least of your worries.

Take a look between the door latch handle trim ring and the upper door bolster. there is only about 1/4" before the panel violently changes shape on a sharp edge...it would be an absolute bitch to get right.

EDIT: remember too that the trim ring needs to move laterally, so you could not have the panel all that close and still be able to tuck the upholstery under it.

If I were doing a set for an E30, I would move the latch down an inch or so, meaning the hole in the metal panel behind it would have to move as well.

The pocket is no big deal, you would just trace the inside and make it fit. thats all about templating, and templating is just cardboard, tin snips and a sharpie.

The E34 panel lends itself to this job really well, the E30 not so much.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Actually, on the E30, its worse than that, the pocket is the least of your worries.

Take a look between the door latch handle trim ring and the upper door bolster. there is only about 1/4" before the panel violently changes shape on a sharp edge...it would be an absolute bitch to get right.

EDIT: remember too that the trim ring needs to move laterally, so you could not have the panel all that close and still be able to tuck the upholstery under it.

If I were doing a set for an E30, I would move the latch down an inch or so, meaning the hole in the metal panel behind it would have to move as well.

The pocket is no big deal, you would just trace the inside and make it fit. thats all about templating, and templating is just cardboard, tin snips and a sharpie.

The E34 panel lends itself to this job really well, the E30 not so much.

Luke
                You could just add a spacer to the latch to offset it enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Bglad View Post
                  You could just add a spacer to the latch to offset it enough.
                  That would be bringing it "inboard" more, correct? That isn't the issue, but it may make it a lot easier to do the sliding trim ring.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Yeah it would bring it inboard. I may be confused by what your getting at, as isnt the problem when you stack the backing board on the door panel its too thick, and recesses the handle?

Comment

You may have to cut out part of the original door panel so the latch can come out further, but it would be covered by the overlay.

Comment

Yeah it would bring it inboard. I may be confused by what your getting at, as isnt the problem when you stack the backing board on the door panel its too thick, and recesses the handle?
                        Yes, thats part of the issue for E30 panels, and spacing it out is a great solution for that issue...but I am glad to see that I got the point across that I was talking about something different...its tough when these things really don't have a name!
                        You may have to cut out part of the original door panel so the latch can come out further, but it would be covered by the overlay.
                        Yes, exactly...the issue is lack of strength in the little strip right above the sliding trim, because the "bolster" (WTF would that thing be called? "Bulgy Part" maybe?) is too close, so the panel would be too thin and weak, directly above the handle...but damn, I think we may be onto something here! It would be basically drill 2 holes for the tinnermann clips and cut out an area to fit the handle, then make the panel cover the resulting hole after relocating it 1/2" down, just enough to regain strength.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Why not just reinforce the thin spot with either fiberglass or a thin pieces of metal epoxied into place. Seems like a lot less work than moving things around.

Comment

Seems like you guys are reinventing the wheel. Why not just sew the insert into the vinyl like they did originally?
                            - Josh
                            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Originally posted by Cletonius View Post
                              Seems like you guys are reinventing the wheel. Why not just sew the insert into the vinyl like they did originally?
                              Because not everyone, including me, has access to a sewing machine or the know how on how to do it properly without it looking like hammered dog shit, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X