e30 cabrio master window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 cabrio master window switch retrofit

I want to take my 5 window switches from an e36 convertible and put them in my e30 convertible. One of the switches is a master switch that makes all 4 go up or down, which is one of the coolest parts of the e36. I don't care about one-touch right now. One thing at a time.

I'm wondering.. can I just splice the master switch into each of the wires for the other switches? Do I need to put in diodes? (I don't think I should, since the master switch is open when any of the others would be closed.) It would be nice and clean to make a little pcb but I don't have access my father's etching setup.

I've searched and found a bit on a Skytec window module for 30 bucks but nothing specific about the 5 switch setup yet. Any input would be appreciated!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

I'd do a window roll up/down module through the alarm instead but a switch is understandable. Just don't know of a clean way to implement it.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

My car doesn't have an alarm but I found a module that looks like it will get me halfway there. I took a look at some wiring diagrams and it looks like I'll just have to make something up out of a little breadboard and some diodes. I never thought I'd say this but it's too bad radioshack is going out of business!

Comment

Ive been toying with this idea aswell!. if you look at our wiring diagrams youll see you can tap +12v from right after the breaker. Then simply connect 1 wire to each of the "up" switch wires (4) and the "down" (4). connect all the ups and downs to the 2 up and down posts on the switch, ground the other 2, and connect the +12v to the final!

Comment

only concern would be when you activate the new master switch, instead of going through the window motor the 12v would ground out through the normal switch... hmmm

Comment

[IMG] gifs upload[/IMG]

Comment

^ That's exactly what I was thinking at first. The only problem is once you link it all together like that, any of the 3 switches will control both motors at once. So what I was thinking is you need a set of diodes that will let current flow from the master switch to the motors, but not the other way around. You would need a pair of diodes at each switch, which is probably actually easier to do in line and sealed heatshrink, rather than worrying about a little board. I'll try something and put it together, but first I have to figure out if I can use one-touch e36 window switches, as I only have 2 of the normal type

Comment

this would be great if we could ditch the window lock out for a "all down" option!

Comment

As much as I hate how the lock out switch is a different black from everything else (why are they ALL like that?) I was just going to cut up my shifter console and do the switches 3 in a row on the drivers side, like how it is on the e36. I think that would be a clean and oem way to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                    As much as I hate how the lock out switch is a different black from everything else (why are they ALL like that?) I was just going to cut up my shifter console and do the switches 3 in a row on the drivers side, like how it is on the e36. I think that would be a clean and oem way to do it
                    on my late model, i bought an early coupe console (which has just one switch opening on each side), cut the two additional openings needed, and just left the cut-out switch hidden away under the console (who really uses it anyways)

Comment

My window cut out is in the dash, I was going to just dump it back there when I come across a dash blank or something to replace it with.

Comment

My cabrio's console has only the 4 slots for switches form factory, just like in your picture. I was thinking of deleting the in-dash window circuit breaker because people know not to stick their hands out the window. 2015 yo.

As far as progress I have figured out that I have 2 non-one touch switches and am trying to come up with a way to use the 5 one touch switches I have in a way that will let me easily add on a one-touch module later on.

Also... I've been watching this

and at one point they talk about how the rear windows should be lowered after the fronts and then raised before the fronts, because the front windows slide on the track attached the the rear window. I've never noticed this to be an issue before, so it shouldn't matter when I install a switch that controls all 4 windows at the same time, right? I can't imagine the e36 would work any different

Comment

Sorry to dig this up, but did anyone ever work out how to install a master switch?

Comment

You could either make something up where the master switch is wired to all four of the others but isolated by diodes, or do like the later e36 cars and make a control board with relays (which would probably be better because now you've got the current of FOUR window motors going through one switch).

I was surprised to learn that the e30 switches don't control relays for the window motors: all of the motor's current draw runs through the switch. They must have swapped over to a micro controller board for the e36 convertibles.

One idea would be to take the entire window control module out of an e36 and map out how to wire it to an e30. I know the e36 window module controls some other things as well but I can't remember what.

Comment

Given how slow my cabrio windows are if I raise/lower 2 at a time, I wonder if the load of all 4 at once would be too much.

Keeping in mind that I usually do this with the engine off perhaps running the master through the unloader would be worth considering.
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                              X