Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Glove Box!

Hello,

I've looked over some previous posts but I just need some guidance on this.

My glove box got stuck yesterday with the handle pointing upwards (see picture) and won't go down. Never locked. '91 318is (not sure if early models are different).

Should I just break off the handle and get a new one? Or is it worth trying to take the whole thing out from behind with the 3 screws and trying to realign it?

Appreciate any insight on this. It has my registration in there lol

Thanks!

sigpic

i know you didn't lock but put the glove box key in it try to turn. If doesnt work punch it upward. It worked for me

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
    Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

IIRC, I think I broke the handle completely off and was able to release the latch with needle nose pliers. This way the dash/glovebox doesn't get damaged and all you need is another latch/handle.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

aegul44, unfortunately I don't have the glove box key. I bought the car with only the main key. I'll try punching the box upwards and hopefully it releases.

reelizmpro, if the above doesn't work I'll be breaking the handle off. I'll let you know what happens when I do that.

Thanks guys!
        sigpic

Comment

My eta does that every so often. I just force the handle back down and then it works as normal again for awhile. You will need to replace that handle though to get it operating normally.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by aldizzurp View Post
            aegul44, unfortunately I don't have the glove box key. I bought the car with only the main key. I'll try punching the box upwards and hopefully it releases.

reelizmpro, if the above doesn't work I'll be breaking the handle off. I'll let you know what happens when I do that.

Thanks guys!
            I think doors/ignition/glove box are all the same key? Mine is like that I'm almost 100% sure. If yours isn't, maybe the latch has been replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
              I think doors/ignition/glove box are all the same key? Mine is like that I'm almost 100% sure. If yours isn't, maybe the latch has been replaced.
              There are two keys you can get according to the owner's manual. There's the Master Key which operates everything, and the Door and Ignition key, which doesn't fit the trunk lock or the glovebox.

In response to OP, try pushing the glovebox upward like you're trying to close it and jiggle the handle a little bit. If that doesn't work, just yank that fuckin' handle. You can still open the glovebox without the handle by pushing up on it and pulling the lever on the lock mechanism to the right so it opens.
              "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
              The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

I had mine stuck down recently so I just pulled up and broke it. You can open it then by moving the latch, I used a screwdriver. Blunt has the whole latch and handle assembly with no key hole for pretty cheap if you go that route.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Same thing happened to mine and I ended up breaking it off... Haven't figured out how to get it open yet haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
                  sigpic
                  '88 325is. built M20. dd.
                  '72 2002 roundie sold

Instagram @doug_mitchell

Comment

Try not to damage the dash or the glovebox if you can help it.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
                      As others mentioned they are not the same. BMW offered separate keys to protect your goods that are in the glovebox. So when you hand your keys igniton to valet they are only allowed to start the car and not open the glove box with same key. Smart move.

Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

The master works on everything including glovebox but as mentioned there are valet keys, etc. that only work on certain locks.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          The master works on everything including glovebox but as mentioned there are valet keys, etc. that only work on certain locks.
                          Dude we are talking about samething.

Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

So I ended up forcing the lever down, VERY VERY HARD and thank god nothing broke. The key doesn't turn the latch but it opens the doors, ignition obviously, and trunk.

I'll be looking for a replacement soon. Thanks for your help guys!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aldizzurp View Post
                              So I ended up forcing the lever down, VERY VERY HARD and thank god nothing broke. The key doesn't turn the latch but it opens the doors, ignition obviously, and trunk.

I'll be looking for a replacement soon. Thanks for your help guys!
                              Yep, that's what I have to do on mine every so often. Luckily it's not in as bad a shape as yours apparently because I don't have to force it down THAT hard. But I still need to look for another replacement latch next time I'm at PnP.
                              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                              -----------------------------------------
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled