E30 M3 rear seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M3 rear seat

I have just gotten an E30 M3 rear seat which I will be putting into my 325i. I have a bit of a problem relocating 2 seat belts to the centre, has anyone seen a solution to this?

Also I am thinking about putting in E36 rear headrests as well. Can anyone confirm if they fit the E30 brackets?

Originally posted by e30-325boy
    I have just gotten an E30 M3 rear seat which I will be putting into my 325i. I have a bit of a problem relocating 2 seat belts to the centre, has anyone seen a solution to this?
    drill a hole and tap it??

Comment

^^ that would be a great idea until i had a crash with a rear passenger and the seat belt let go.

Comment

That's what the PO did with my car. They adjusted the seatbelt configuration. I don't carry rear passengers so I don't care :p Let me know if you want me to take a pic for you!

Comment

Just drill a hole and weld up a nut on the other side of the sheet metal.
          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Yeh if done properly its perfectly reasonable, but here in Aus that sort of stuff needs to be engineered and assesed and .... redtape bullshit thats gonna cost a packet ..... I'm looking for another solution....

I just checked to make sure but there is no way the existing belt recepticals mounted in thier current location will reach the sockets in the centre of the seat.

Its not that big a deal, they are still usable in thier location as seat belts but its just a bit annoying not being able to have them put away nice and tidy when they are not being used ie. most of the time! I'm wondering if the belts on a 5 series would be any longer, would someone with an E34 or E28 be able to do me a favour and measure? The E30 ones are approx 20cm

Next question. Anyone know how to remove the thing on the parcel shelf for plugging the middle lap sash into? I could go and pull the parcel shelf out and check but its cold outside and I'm lazy :D

Comment

Anyone know how to remove the thing on the parcel shelf for plugging the middle lap sash into? I could go and pull the parcel shelf out and check but its cold outside and I'm lazy :D
              If you take out the parcel tray, underneath it is held on by a plastic nut. 10mm me thinks.

I am putting an m3 seat in as well. I didn't know this was an issue. Are the M3's mounted differently or are the belts longer?
              sigpic

Comment

i had that same issue just yesterday. i drilled a hole in the center and used a m12 bolt, washers and nut with a piecs of 1/4 inch steel on the under side to prevent tear through if an impact did occur.

Comment

drill a hole, and install some large steel backing plates under neath, just watch out for the brake lines and parking brake cables that run threw that area.
                  85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I don't know how else to say this so I'll just say it again. I don't want to drill a new hole and move the belts, its just to difficult and expensive to do it legally here...

Comment

I don't know how else to say this so I'll just say it again. I don't want to drill a new hole and move the belts, its just to difficult and expensive to do it legally here...
                      If I recall, there are two shorter belts on the same bolt on one side, and one longer belt on the other side in your car - correct?

Buy a second longer, single one and replace the two short ones with the single longer one - should bolt right in, and reach to where you need it to go.

They're right about the lap belt catch - comes off easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
                        If I recall, there are two shorter belts on the same bolt on one side, and one longer belt on the other side in your car - correct?

Buy a second longer, single one and replace the two short ones with the single longer one - should bolt right in, and reach to where you need it to go.

They're right about the lap belt catch - comes off easy.
                        Yeh got the lap catch off easy.

On the RHS there is the lap belt and one receptile, on the LHS there are 2 recepticles. I hadn't noticed a difference in legth between the recepticles but even if there is the RHS one (which would be the longer if you are right) doesn't reach anyway...

Comment

Yeh got the lap catch off easy.

On the RHS there is the lap belt and one receptile, on the LHS there are 2 recepticles. I hadn't noticed a difference in legth between the recepticles but even if there is the RHS one (which would be the longer if you are right) doesn't reach anyway...
                          Hm.

So the E30 M3 has a bolt in the center for two short receptacles, and the standard E30 has two holes, one on either side? I find that interesting.

Comment

Yeh that would seem to be the case. There doesnt appear to be any marking for where a hole would be in the centre but maybe that is an early vs late thing.

Comment

Yeh that would seem to be the case. There doesnt appear to be any marking for where a hole would be in the centre but maybe that is an early vs late thing.
                              I dunno about that - the more I think about it, the more I feel that there's just two seperate longer belts on the cabby and M3 that mount where your stock ones go. I'll confirm on Wed. If that's the case, you could buy the two M3 or cabbie ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X