I wrapped my dash for $20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrapped my dash for $20

Hey guys, so I was tired of seeing cracks on my dashboard. I originally wanted to flock the dash but my initial job of filling the cracks was terrible so I decided to go to Joann's and got a yard of vinyl pleather and a can of spray adhesive. This was a budget project that will go to a gutted beater so my expectations are not very high. Total cost was about $20 maybe less if you use a coupon. the spray adhesive I used was the Loctite brand that can be bought for $6-8 and the vinyl was about $15/yard. I used less than one yard because I didn't approach the project with perfectionism, i.e. I didn't care if there are seams. Anyway, here are the pictures. they are pretty self-explanatory.

Nice job! Looks ten times better than what it was.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
      Nice job! Looks ten times better than what it was.
      Thanks! I the more cracks the dash has, the more effective this gets. Lol

Comment

Wish these were high res photos, but either way I can tell it looks awesome
        sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
        1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
        1991 318is - Sold
        1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Wow looks fantastic!
          - 92’ BMW 325i Vert MT2 S770A Appearance Package
          - 96’ Toyota Tacoma single cab 4x4 2.7L [DD]
          - 01’ Honda Shadow VLX 600 Custom Bobber
          IG| Eddiiemeister

Comment

That's pretty cool. It got the job done and it looks decent too. I filled and plastidipped my dash once and it came out much nicer than how it used to look. This looks even better.

Now that I think of it, I would be concerned about longevity using Joann's vinyl. UV treated automotive vinyl would be ideal.
            Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

It looks really nice. You should offer dash wrapping as a service. I'm sure lots of people would be interested in having their dash wrapped.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm happy to provide guidance to whoever wants to do this. It really wasn't that difficult especially since I wasn't aiming for a perfect or professional finish. My goal was simply to cover existing and future cracks.

It took me three hours, with a lot of breaks in between. All it is is spray, lay, pull, staple, cut excess. It can probably be done without stapling as that's what I did at first until I decided to staple them.

Of course, this is easier if you have the dash off. I'm sure it can be done with it on the car with a paint brush and some type of liquid adhesive. It is not perfect, but I think it is much better than seeing cracks since it doesn't cost too much and it wasn't that difficult.

Oh, I forgot to add that I used a heat gun to stretch the vinyl in some areas. A hairdryer would work too.

Comment

Great work man! Thanks for sharing. I will probably be doing this after seeing your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did you fill in the tray on the passenger side? Or just wrap over it?
                    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
                    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
                    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Originally posted by jdance30 View Post
                      Did you fill in the tray on the passenger side? Or just wrap over it?
                      I did not fill the tray, I just wrapped over it. It's holding up nicely and I don't press on it. LOL

Comment

Great job. I started to fix my dash using padded filler, sanding and so on and failed miserably. Now my dash looks worse than it was. This gives me some hope. Could you please add some details, how did you do it? Did you start from the center moving outside? Or started from the back moving toward where the cluster and the ac control goes? Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          Now that I think of it, I would be concerned about longevity using Joann's vinyl. UV treated automotive vinyl would be ideal.
                          I've been shopping for OEM-type interior vinyl. It's not very expensive - about $40/yard from World Upholstery or Global Upholstery. Less from Veteran Company.
                          1992 325i Cabrio
                          1988 320i Touring
                          2000 M5
                          1977 530i
                          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                          BMWCCA
                          E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                          X