e36 Arm Rest in a e30???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
    I dont think an arm rest in an e30 would be comfortable, the gear shifter or sterring wheel works fine for me.

you dont have that Gangsta Lean :pimp:

i double posted..... kill me
    Operation S/C E39M5.:woowoo:

Comment

I actually bought the e46 console and look at size and fit to try to hack it... but... the big problem is... when you fit it on, the bottom is cracked open cause the size of the console is that much bigger than teh original and you'll ahve a huge hole in the bottom of both side... the only solution would be to increase the foam and thickness around the center console under the carpet so the peice look alot bigger... which is a nono for me. because I have corbeau's and they are like the vader seats, which fill out the cars alot better, but they are snug up the original console, so anything bigger will rub bigtime.

Comment

Actually, I tried to put a leather armrest in from an e36 and it looked like crap, so it goes both ways. It didn't fit well either. I only got it for the cupholder, but I like it a lot now. It doesn't fit perfectly, though. I'll try to put up some more pics. As an armrest, it is a little bit too short to be entirely comfortable, but at least your elbow doesn't hit when you are shifting hard into second ;)

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

yo so the e46 will fit if the padding under the center console is "widend" no problem for me. w0o! w0o!
          Operation S/C E39M5.:woowoo:

Comment

So is that the arm rest I will need to get my interior to look like that? It is fit right in or will I have to mod it?

Comment

^ Try reading this thread. The answer is already infront of you.

Comment

I was also interested in doing this.

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Any updates?
                  ---1991 M50 Powered More Door
                  ---1990 Slow Calypso Cabrio
                  ---2002 9k Rev Honda

Comment

e36 center consoles are a pain in the ass to deal with just fyi, havent messed with an e46 though
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                      e36 center consoles are a pain in the ass to deal with just fyi, havent messed with an e46 though
                      I have... with the e46 armrest, you need mold the front to attach to the shifter console, cause its slanted on the e46 piece. Then you have to bulk out the carpet a bit, because its too wide, and it will hang off the side visibly. Then you need to make new mounting holes because the stock single plastic thign that sticks out isnt going to cut it.

Its ridculously heavy with the armrest in place, you would need to bolt it down to the sheet metal all over the bottom for this to be feasible and functional.

Comment

Just checking to see if we can get any pics of progress. Very interested if someone could figure it out and post a DIY.
                        Dave

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you guys but.... I started it with much enthusiasm as any new project should be undertaken. Then reality kicks in the minute you try to fit the e36 armrest in place. It is wider (a little cutting) the rear does a funny thing where it is taller and the plastic that covers the mechanism rises like two inches off the floor. This will require some fiber-glassing not such a big deal. Then if you do not want to drill holes onto your transmission hump you need to come up with a bracket that takes advantage of the puny little bolt that hold the stock unit. Not sure if the e46 armrest is easier or any different. As soon as the weather permits I will go out there and work on it some more. Any e46 center console donors???
                          sigpic
                          WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Interesting...I want. I like my E36s armrest.

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                            Full Product Line Tuning
                            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

any updates? theres an E36 at my local yard

Comment

Snatch it and then worry about working on it, on eBay they are expensive. To tell you the truth it's not a bolt an forget it project, it is plenty involved. Not impossible but it will require fabrication of metal brakets and I'm thinking fiberglass.
                                After watching chop/cut & rebuild I was inspired by the work done on the Bricklin SV1. One kid made an entire center console to die for, just using 1/4 inch plywood and then fiber glassing the entire thing. I'm thinking of building one but I'm sure I'm going to get flamed by the BMW purist in this and other sites. Oh well if I have the time I will do that and let the chips fall where they may.

sigpic
                                WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Working...
                                X