e36 window switches in e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e36 window switches in e30

Ive been looking and I know someone posted a while back about it and even had links to a walkthrough but I cant find it and its too late to go through each individual thread.

Can anyone help me out pls and post the link to the site that walks through it?

Thanks,
    Seb
    1990 325ix

Re: e36 window switches in e30

Originally posted by SebSter
    Ive been looking and I know someone posted a while back about it and even had links to a walkthrough but I cant find it and its too late to go through each individual thread.

Can anyone help me out pls and post the link to the site that walks through it?

Thanks,
    Seb
    have you used our lovely search button????
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

use search, then put the criteria, and select "search for all terms". i find thats the easiest way to narrow it down.
      this is the link to the tutorial: (right click, save as)
      I retired my E30 for now...
      E46 323i
      David Schultz

Comment

gah, site is down

and yeah i used the search btw, at least i tried.. i didnt know what the thread title was so i just put in e36 window switch but it didnt come up
        1990 325ix

Comment

If you weren't lazy and did a search, you'd notice I have it hosted.

if you dont do one touch and get the e36 lighted switches, here's the wire plan:

e36 BLACK ----> e30 #1 BLACK
          e36 PURPLE ---> e30 #8 PURPLE
          e36 Red/BRN --> e30 #3 Green/Blue
          e36 BROWN ---> e30 #5 BROWN

The 5th brown wire on the e30 side is just an extra ground. It won't connect to anything on the e36 side.

I'll have my switches on a USPS truck on Monday. Hopefully get em by the end of the week. Can't wait to install them!

Comment

good luck getting the right switches. they're 8 different types. only 1 works.
            My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
              A switch is a switch.. there's the basic up and down contacts, a power and a ground. Any switch from anything (even a lightswitch) could be fitted in as long as you have some basic electrics skills.

And I wasnt lazy, I actually did look through the thread, I must have missed it, thanks for putting up the link. (yikes, ppl are so quick to jump on you on this board)

Thx for the help guys Ill keep you posted on how it goes, I'll probably have them in by next weekend, and Ill get some pics up too.
              1990 325ix

Comment

Originally posted by SebSter
                A switch is a switch.. there's the basic up and down contacts, a power and a ground. Any switch from anything (even a lightswitch) could be fitted in as long as you have some basic electrics skills.

And I wasnt lazy, I actually did look through the thread, I must have missed it, thanks for putting up the link. (yikes, ppl are so quick to jump on you on this board)

Thx for the help guys Ill keep you posted on how it goes, I'll probably have them in by next weekend, and Ill get some pics up too.
                Heh, yeah, I did my homework though. I found some white base switches (lighted, non one touch) from the rear windows of an e36 with the connectors and 6" wire, and the rear single bezels too. $30 shipped ain't that bad.

Maybe I posted the link for the writeup I hosted on another thread. There's a few e36 switch threads.

Comment

The pictures in that thread lick balls though, someone here who did it or is going to do it was going to re-write the article with new pics.

Comment

Where did you guys buy your switches from?

Comment

Originally posted by btm4k
                      Where did you guys buy your switches from?
                      I think most guys get them fron the junkyard, but they are only like $30 new.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                        The pictures in that thread lick balls though, someone here who did it or is going to do it was going to re-write the article with new pics.
                        that would be me, but I have received the wrong switches. twice.
                        My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                          that would be me, but I have received the wrong switches. twice.
                          Well god dammit Kris, get your shit together BOY!

Comment

One more thing I've never understood. Why, in that article, do you need e30 donor switches?

I figured all you have to do is get the e36 switches with the wire,
                            chop the e30 switch off the wiring harness,
                            and expose the wire left on the e30 side,
                            expose the wire on the e36 side,
                            solder them together,
                            and whalla?

Why would you need the e30 switches? Still can't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by spencers
                              One more thing I've never understood. Why, in that article, do you need e30 donor switches?

I figured all you have to do is get the e36 switches with the wire,
                              chop the e30 switch off the wiring harness,
                              and expose the wire left on the e30 side,
                              expose the wire on the e36 side,
                              solder them together,
                              and whalla?

Why would you need the e30 switches? Still can't understand that.
                              incase u mess up :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X