keep knee bolster from hanging down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep knee bolster from hanging down

I have an 89 non airbag model with the uber chintzy tissue paper knee bolster below the steering wheel. I have normal size feet (11) but the panel always hands down just enough that my toes will get stuck anytime I push in the clutch all the way or hard press the accel. I've torn through 2 panels by my foot getting caught during spirited driving.

I've tried zipties to hold the bolster up, and currently have some wire but the bolster still sags just enough.

Does anyone have an effective way to solve this issue once and for all that doesn't involve just removing the panel.

Are you missing the clip on the steering column? There should be a "three finger" kinda bent strap steel that it plugs into. Having trouble locating a diagram on the go. :/

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

what firebird said. should look like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-03-18.32.58a.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	9897114
      sigpic

Comment

The problem is these are rarely installed correctly. The panel slides into 2 clips on the backside first. One on the steering column and one on the firewall. Most are familiar with the clip but not the one on the firewall. Then the bottom is secured with a large quarter turn plastic screw which is NLA but the headlight cover thumb screws work well. Finally the top 3 small quarter turn screws secure the front.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Do not have this clip. but this is helpful.. I will see what I can find. Thanks for the diagram

Comment

Working...
          X