Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTech 1 Steering wheels - KBA 70074 vs KBA 70076 vs KBA 70073 vs no part #

Hello,

I have an MT1 steering wheel (KBA 70074) but doesn't fit my '91 airbag E30. The MT1 will not sit anywhere close to the steering column (tried it without any spacers). After doing some research it seems that my MT1 may be E24/28 specific. Also i have noticed that some MT1s don't even have a KBA part # on the back of the center spoke.

At this point i'm not sure if my MT1 is defective or if it's just not compatible with my E30

Hoping someone can shed some light on this so that i can purchase the correct MT1.

Thanks!
    Javier

I *think* pre-85 is coarse spline. This is my recollection: KBA70074 is a 385mm MT1 Fine Spline. KBA70076 is a 370mm MT1 Fine Spline. KBA70073 is 385mm MT1 Coarse Spline.

On an airbag car you need one spacer behind the wheel, and one in front under the nut.

If your wheel goes on at all, the spline count is the same. A lot of the time the threads get boogered so the wheel won't go on all of the way, that's my bet. I just dealt with this exact problem on a hub adapter I got. Put it on a spare column, lightly went tappy tappy tappy once the hub was already on an inch or so, carefully fixed the compressed splines and was on my way.

If the wheel doesn't accept the splines at all it's the wrong spline count, but if it goes on partially, it should be fine.
    Last edited by AWDBOB; 04-06-2020, 09:28 AM. Reason: I was incorrect
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      I *think* pre-85 is coarse spline. This is my recollection: KBA70074 is a 385mm MT1 Fine Spline. KBA70076 is a 370mm MT1 Fine Spline. KBA70073 is 385mm MT1 Coarse Spline.

On an airbag car you need one spacer behind the wheel, and one in front under the nut.

If your wheel goes on at all, the spline count is the same. A lot of the time the threads get boogered so the wheel won't go on all of the way, that's my bet. I just dealt with this exact problem on a hub adapter I got. Put it on a spare column, lightly went tappy tappy tappy once the hub was already on an inch or so, carefully fixed the compressed splines and was on my way.

If the wheel doesn't accept the splines at all it's the wrong spline count, but if it goes on partially, it should be fine.
      Thank you! So based on your recollection 70074 should fit my '91 - so most likely my MT1's splines are screwy. BTW i tried an MT2 wheel and that fit perfectly and obviously my 4 spoke airbag wheel fits fine too. What about the MT1s that don't have KBA # on the back - what do those fall under?

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

Originally posted by E30CanadaVert View Post

Thank you! So based on your recollection 70074 should fit my '91 - so most likely my MT1's splines are screwy. BTW i tried an MT2 wheel and that fit perfectly and obviously my 4 spoke airbag wheel fits fine too. What about the MT1s that don't have KBA # on the back - what do those fall under?

Thanks for your reply!
        no prob! I actually have a 385mm MT1 with no p/n and it, too, is fine spline and fits an E30.

My gut says your splines are damaged.

If you have a spare column, take a 21mm socket and lightly tap the wheel on a bit where it stops. Pull it back off, and repeat until the splines are uncompressed. Don’t do too much at a time or you’ll have to remove the wheel with a puller.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

no prob! I actually have a 385mm MT1 with no p/n and it, too, is fine spline and fits an E30.

My gut says your splines are damaged.

If you have a spare column, take a 21mm socket and lightly tap the wheel on a bit where it stops. Pull it back off, and repeat until the splines are uncompressed. Don’t do too much at a time or you’ll have to remove the wheel with a puller.
          Unfortunately i don't have a spare column so i don't to chance the wheel getting stuck but at least i know now. Just need to find another MT1 with good splines! Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X