Altezza style lights high performance upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altezza style lights high performance upgrade

OK, so I had an inquiry into improving some really dim lights on a 1988 convertible that was bought with "Altezza Style" tail lights with the 'smoke tint' lens option. It had two 'reddish' (magenta), amber, and clear bulbs in Brake and Tail, Turn, and Reverse light sockets respectively. The rear fog was wired, but not used or wired in North America cars.

Here is a post refering to these lights on ebay, but with the "Crystal Red" lens option:

Originally posted by kdfwagen View Post
    i'm having a hard time finding a good set of used early tail lights. My current ones have broken corners lenses. I was wondering if anybody has bought the Altezza :roll: tails? I was thinking about buying them and then painting them with red hobby clear to get rid of the ugly clear etc... How do you guys think this would fare?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-87...Q5fAccessories
    Just ask these guys if they are legal in the US, or where you can get replacement bulbs for them... I bet you don't get a response, and if you do, I would love to see it. I haven't gotten any reply yet.

So, I took a stab at seeing what could be done with them, and was able to really beef them up. High Output bulbs in reverse, (and correct color in) tail and brake, Standard Bulbs for turn signals that you can buy anywhere,
    double the brake light area, and triple the tail light area.

In the BEFORE pics, note the 'purplish' color of the bulbs, it was quite noticeable in person. AFTER looks much more 'red' by comparison

Also, note the similarity of the tail and brake lights, they put the same bulb in both - almost no difference at all in brightness.

All pics were taken with same exposure, full manual (ASA 800, f:8.0, 1/60th sec)

Here is Brake light BEFORE - note purplish color

Here is Tail light BEFORE- note color and similarity to brake above

Here is Brake light AFTER, with rear fog socket as a second brake light

Here is Tail light AFTER, with the brake and rear fog sockets as two additional tail lights

So, just throwing this out there for anyone with (or considering) these $159.95 lights. They look really nice in the pictures on eBay, but in real life they are slightly less than adequate. Until they get the once over from Mo Brighta, that is! :p

Basically, my 'once over' includes:
    1- remove all bulbs (tail and brake were closer to purple than red!);
    2- convert four sockets to take two filament bulbs (combined tail/brake);
    3- convert both turn signal sockets to take a standard amber bulb (it came with an asymmetric-base 7057 bulb);
    4- rewire brake light to make two sockets light on each side;
    5- rewire tail light to make three sockets light on each side;
    6- tint all six High Output tail and brake light bulbs red;
    7- install high output bulbs in reverse, tail, and brake light sockets;
    8- install standard 1156A (amber) bulbs in turn signals;
    9- include a spare bulbs kit with one each of the above.

Total cost for above upgrades with 8 High Output and 2 standard bulbs, plus the spare bulbs kit, was $167. Smoked appearance is maintained, no obvious color (egg-yolk) in any of the lights.

Not a sexy as NOS or twin turbos, but not nearly as expensive either ;) And far more practical, considering what could happen if your dim bulbs are not able to get the attention of the guy in the Rolling Living Room behind you when you nail the brakes :eeek: ...NOT exactly the best time to trust your life OR your E30 sheet metal to not-legal-for-road-use funky dim purple Taiwanese aftermarket lights, eh?

Be Seen, and Not Hurt.
    Andy

With only 12 sold (as shown on eBay), I might be wasting my time with this long-ass post, but if it helps even ONE E30 stay out of the scrap yard, it is worth it to me and, I would think, to the driver and passengers as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mo Brighta; 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM. Reason: repair pics
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

just so you know, pics aren't working.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Pictures still aint working...

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Sorry, no idea why- pics seem to be working now!
        Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
        Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
        Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
        Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

They're working for me. Quite a difference there. I've looked at those a couple times but I can't get on board with solid black like that.

Comment

Working...
          X