How to: Make your sealed beams awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Make your sealed beams awesome!

So, I don't know what the deal is, but the headlights on European cars imported to America properly suck. That's what I encountered with my 1984 325e. Sealed beams. To be fair, they were poorly aimed when I bought the car, but even when I aimed them via the 25 feet from the wall method with tape and all, they still were terrible.

I recalled a modification I did to my old 1989 535i where you put the high beam bulb into the low beam socket. On that car the difference was amazing. Since they were aimed low, I was never flashed for having my brights on, but the light output was excellent.

I figured there must be a way to do that to the e30, and there is. Here goes.

Parts needed:

2 high beam sealed beam units
    2 high beam sealed beam holder (metal cup like piece that holds the bulb, metal trim ring attaches to this) The low beam ones are different.
    2 springs for the holder (you can use the one from your low beams if you like)

Tools:

Flathead screwdriver
    Phillips screwdriver
    Voltmeter or test light
    A little bit of skill, but this is pretty easy

I had a parts car, so I was able to just remove these parts from that one. As far as I know, you can use parts off of any of the sealed beam e30s.

To begin pop the hood but don't open it. Remove the two phillips screws from the bottom of the plastic trim around the headlights on each side.

Next, remove the clips (3 each side) on the top of this trim with the flathead.

Trim piece simply pulls off.

Now, open the hood and remove the black plastic trim behind the lights.

Now, remove the plug for the low beam. You may want to disconnect the negative battery cable before this, but I didn't.

Turn the plastic aiming adjusters counter-clockwise until the whole sealed beam unit/holder/trim comes out. Unhook the spring, and place to the side.

If you didn't get the trim ring for the high beam, transfer it from the low beam using the 3 phillips screws. Be careful to seat the bulb into the holder properly before you tighten the trim ring.

Hook the spring onto the high beam unit and into the car, then line up the screws so they go into the plastic aiming adjusters, and turn them clockwise to tighten.

Now, it's time for wiring. You'll notice that the low beam units have three electrical leads, while the high beams have just two. I don't know why this is the case. On mine, the top wire on the low beam was 12v, the other two were ground.

I just found which side of the high beam was 12v, removed the leads from the harness, connected the top lead to that side, and ground to the other. On my car, the left side from the back of the light is ground, right side is power, but please check using the test light before you connect it backwards.

Repeat for the other side.

Now aim your headlights. You can do a google search or one on this site and find some really good resources on how to do that. I aimed mine just a little lower than the low beams were to ensure that I wouldn't blind anyone. It makes a huge difference in the light output.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Just a disclaimer: This modification may be illegal in your area (it may be in mine too, but so far, so good). Check with local authorities first if you feel a need to do so.

haha i did this soo long ago. good wright up
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

all good though. so how much brighter are they than projectors?

stock euro early lights remind me of those oil lanterns they had on the first generations of motor vehicles lol
      RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
      89' 318i

Comment

oh wow, how noob of you
        harry/harout

Comment

The reason for 3 leads on the low beam unit is because there are 2 filaments in there. On the e30 and almost all dual headlamp vehicles (ones with sealed beams anyway), when you have just the lows on its just the outside lamps are on (one on each side) when you turn on the high beams all 4 light up (it shuts off the low beam circuit and turns on the high beam circuit) If you look at an e30 equipped with ellipsoids when the high beams are turned on the lows shut off.
          You could in theory do this mod without modifying anything but a couple of easy electrical connections.
          Remove that plastic cover behind your headlamps and simply switch the top and side wire connections on the low beam. DO NOT remove the BROWN wire tho, that is the ground. Ground wires in the e30 are brown.

Hope this explains an easier way to do this mod without any need for donor parts. Should only take 10 minutes or so to do it, even if they only have half a brain.
          -Andy

Comment

Am i the only one on here that dont think sealed beams suck and can see just fine with them?

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

JasonC- No. lots of folks are fine with their sealed beams, but if you want higher lighting performance, there are many good options available, and some not so good.

Andy (dashboardmonkey)- correct, the outer lights are dual function. Interesting way to convert, but still suffers the deficiencies of sealed beams.

Gruelius- absolutely, they are only slightly better than carbon arc or oil lamps... IMHO.

Mr Tony Lee- Please, do yourself a favor and look into available options for sealed beam replacements. There are some really good options, much brighter, but most important, legal and more effective, than just re-aiming a sealed high beam down a bit.
              Yes, re-aimed high sealed beams will be marginally brighter than sealed beam lows, but the pattern of road lighting is far better with a Hella or Cibie or other high quality halogen, two reasons.

1) Halogen bulbs produce more light per watt;
              2) Halogen lights have a much higher quality lens and reflector because they are not designed to be tossed in the landfill when the filament goes. The light is made better because it is supposed to stay in the car 'forever'. Sealed beams are throw-aways, very cheap with poor light output. Lots of glare, radical hot and cold spots, and bright as a candle in some cases.

Look into the Hella BiFocus, it has terrific output, a very even and wide pattern, and uses a standard H1 55W bulb, and it's legal! Not that anyone cares, I'm just sayin'.

PM or email me and I'll send you a pic of these with output metrics. If I can get a pic up on the site I'll try to post here too.

Andy
              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Yeah. I know there are better options, but they cost money, something I have very little of at the moment. In the future, however, I'll definitely look into that. I will pm you. I'd like to see other options for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                  Am i the only one on here that dont think sealed beams suck and can see just fine with them?
                  they do suck but they were way better than the Depo projectors I bought in 2005.. lol
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    they do suck but they were way better than the Depo projectors I bought in 2005.. lol
                    You mean the ones that people still buy? LOL

As mentioned before, you could just wire the high filament in the low beams to come on all the time.
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      You just a hater like i hate slantsix's lol :p

I'm still rockin the original T3 headlights in my corvair lol :pimp:

But yeah, i did notice the set of depo's sucked like you said, when i first got my first e30 in 2006.

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

hey uhh... i have a set of depos, smoked with the cross hairs and all. I havent installed them yet, but Im getting HIDs 6000k/55w. People say they work great. So what do you guys find thats so bad about them? im curious

Comment

Dunno. Friend has one and they fit nicely. The output is nice as well with a decent cut off.

Comment

if you all think the stock E30 sealed beams suck try driving a aircooled 65 bug thats 6V. those suck.

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                            That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

air cooled 6V bug

Originally posted by Mullet Bullet View Post
                              if you all think the stock E30 sealed beams suck try driving a aircooled 65 bug thats 6V. those suck.
                              Been there, done that, replaced those dim lights quick!
                              I got a pair of Marchal Amplilux for my birthday, swapped in some 6 Volt bulbs and got a big surprise -- I could SEEEEEEE!

They stopped making those lights in 1974 or something, but they were a HUGE improvement over 7" sealed beams. Inside the light there were two reflectors and two bulbs, one for low, one for high. They had an H1 for low and an H3 for high.
                              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
                              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
                              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
                              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Working...
                              X