Dual Hid Kits. Problems? tips? Etc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Hid Kits. Problems? tips? Etc..

I noticed that C//M has dual hid kits. the manufacturer said to me that i would need a type of inline battery so that on start i do not overload my wairing. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS SHIT IS.. HIDs are uspposed to require a good bit of power during start up correct? But during constant running time they use less wattage then original Halogen? So why would i need EXTRA POWER.. WHat problems has anyone has installing dual HIDS conversion. And info would be greatly apprecaited. And it would probably help alot of people with HID questions thanks

Mods to come:IS LIP RyanG(scored) MTechII Rear (SCORED) Shadowline (soon) Tint (soon) Umnitza HLConv w/HID ( wow am i broke yet)

not sure, but I'm in the process so I'll let you know when I'm done...

Comment

OEMs only use hids in lowbeams. I think this is because high HIDs would just be too bright.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

No its because you cant flash HIDs. They have a long startup time. BMW uses HID in the highs but what they do is move the already lit bulb down in the housing below the cutoff so it shines straight out.

If you pull on the stalk to flash then it just illuminates standard halgoens in the middle.

And yes, they use a shit load of power at startup but once running use almost nothing. Mine dont even flicker when I start the engine like the halogens did.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

I sit corrected.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Chris also has HID lows and HID fogs.

If its such a problem (never heard of this bulshit) then just don't start both at once...
            Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

Word, although unless you get long wavelength having HID fogs is pointless. I was thinking about a 3400k kit but decided that was pointless as I never drive the car anymore anyway.

I think most manufacturers recommend an inline relay instead of using the regular headlight wiring because they dont know how the vehicle was setup. That way it pulls power directly from the battery. Ive been running fine on my regular headlight wiring and relays for a couple years now.
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                Chris also has HID lows and HID fogs.

If its such a problem (never heard of this bulshit) then just don't start both at once...

HID fogs are okay in E30 foglamp housings? I was told that HID bulbs would melt the housings
                R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

My HID bulbs run a hell of a lot cooler than the old halogens. You can tell it when you touch the lense.

They are 800 degrees in the capsule but there is a vacumm between the capsule and the bulb so it stays cool.
                  Im now E30less.
                  sigpic

Comment

well the HID's in the fogs leave the light extreamly fragmented as I originally thought, so now I'm going to have to fabricate an ellipsiod into the fog and see what happens...should be a fun project

Comment

Late model fogs have ellipsoids, and have a crisp HID cut-off, just for people curious.

Comment

What brands do you guys have? Hella, Phillips, Mc

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                          What brands do you guys have? Hella, Phillips, Mc
                          The set I just got for my fogs are Mc's, the low's are some no-name brand but have had no problem with them yet...

Comment

Working...
                          X