Is my HID kit complete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my HID kit complete?

I recently bought an 88 325is with ellipsoids and want to put some HID's in. I have some old ballasts and the 9006 plugs already. I would like to buy some Morimoto 4300 bulbs from TRS but I'm not sure if my pieced together kit is complete. I see in some kits there are relays, but my ballasts dont have any separate power wires. Am I missing something?
    Attached Files

You're missing another ballast. lol Other than that, bulbs are all you need. The car's 9006 connectors should be able to plug right onto the ballast, so that harness in the picture shouldn't be needed. Those "relays" you are thinking of are probably ignitors. Some kits have them internally and some have them externally.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Someone here was selling DDM 6000K 9006s for $10 in Parts For Sale section. I saw it just today, if you want to try them out first to make sure that your ballasts are infact working. Did you purchase this from someone ? What is the history on them?
      » PARTS FOR SALE
      » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

yes, that is all you need. power wire on the left, and the wire that goes to the bulbs on the right. some people install relays for additional safety, but you should be ok.

just make sure you buy the correct bulbs. 9006 for US ellips or h1 for EURO ellips. 4300k morimoto bulbs are an excellent choice.

also, i believe that if your car didnt have ellipsoids stock, you will have to do the relay mod to allow your low beams to stay on when you turn on your highs. otherwise they will turn off. correct me if im wrong.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. Not sure if the ellipsoids came stock, but I imagine they did. I bought it from a 70 year old who wasn't exactly into the "modding" scene. I guess I'll order up some bulbs and give it a go.

I did a retrofit in my Tacoma and the Morimoto bulbs are excellent bulbs. Definitely worth the extra $$$ for their stuff.

Comment

Also, does anyone know if I'll get any "check" light issues with the HID's in?

Comment

Originally posted by mikracer View Post
              Also, does anyone know if I'll get any "check" light issues with the HID's in?
              That depends on the ballast but most likely you won't have any check light issues.
              » PARTS FOR SALE
              » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Sweet, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X