Headlight problem- HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight problem- HELP!

I purchased a 90 325I.It had a lowbeam out,so I went to change it and found a problem.Looks like someone hacked out the projectors and put in sealed beams?Fixed the twisted and taped connections,and it pops the fuses every few days? Do sealed beams take a different relay? Are my sealed beams stock? Man I just don't know? Thankyou
    sigpic

Pictures might help.

If fuses keep popping there may be a reversed polarity or a wire getting crossed somewhere. Fuses blow when there is a surge of current to protect the components.

You may also have an incorrect fuse installed, double check that and make sure its correct amperage.

If you've got more wires coming from the car than you have to mate from the sealed beams, then its possible that the ellipsoid lights came stock and because of damage, the PO replaced them with a cheaper light.

I'm not 100% on any of these, but its a start.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks! My 16yr old drives it and said they seemed to go a little dim,then back to bright this week coming home? It sounds like there is a plug of some kind under the coolant tank? It is the power to the headlights, and can get corroded? I will check when it gets home.
      sigpic

Comment

90 325's came with sealed beams.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

That answers one mystery reelizmpro! I cant figure out why the lightplugs were cut and twisted together then?I just figured the fancy ones were cut out! Thanks for the input!
          sigpic

Comment

You should have 3 wires for low beams instead of 2, right?
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Yes I do. Gunna check the relays in the morning.Also the connection under the coolant tank?!
              sigpic

Comment

Figured it out.Voltage regulator was bad.The voltage was spiking at almost 20 volts.Replaced the alternator,hope it did the trick!
                sigpic

Comment

Do you know which fuses are the low beams? i.e. outside lamps?

Comment

Working...
                  X