Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching hi-powered lights with high beams

Hi all,

I have recently undertaken a project for night driving in the mountains. Basically, two aircraft landing lights mounted to the bumper.

Currently, this setup is wired with a standard 30A relay and triggered by a simple switch. This is simple, but it is difficult to dim high beams and fumble around for the switch when passing any (very sparse) oncoming traffic. I want to make these lights triggered by the dimmer switch so they are only on when the high beams are on.

Looking at the wiring diagram:

It looks like the dimmer switch gives a switched ground signal on the white wire going through C202 to pin 85 of the high beam relay. So, in theory I should be able to use that as the gnd side of the switch for my aux lights....but, that doesn't work. Test light lights up on that wire, too?

How can I wire this? What am I missing? I can't see anything in the fusebox, all the relays are wired to some kind of board and I can't determine what goes where.

Thanks in advance.

What size generator are you putting in the trunk for when you run the lights?

joke
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Well, I would wire my extra awesome blinding lamps into the WHT/VI wire that powers the actual high beams,(or the 87 of the high beam relay) and run that to the 86 of my relay that controls the landing lights. Ground the 85, 30 to power, 87 to lights, ground lights, and done.

I was thinking of doing this myself, only on a roof rack. I would probably run a full rack with some form of wood boards (maybe balsa for lightness!) running between the bars with possibly 4 KC daylighters (or something like that) on the front, wires running through the popped “up” sunroof. I think it would look pretty sweet, and be removable.
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
        What size generator are you putting in the trunk for when you run the lights?

joke
        Well you could mod the diff input to have an alternator belt drive!
        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
        Originally posted by roguetoaster
        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
        X