Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake light switch fails ON - How Common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light switch fails ON - How Common?

I've gotten word from two folks with my upgrade tails, the switch seems to fail in the ON position, which of course generates much heat within the brake light area. The early tails may be able to handle it (steel bulb plate), but the late tails have a plastic socket, so they tend to get all melty.

Without being too nosy, how many brake light switch failures do E30's see?
    Is this common?

I realize that several things can cause an 'always-on' condition, such as loose mounting nuts and the switch coming loose , or a foot resting on the brake pedal (autos only, no doubt), maybe other conditions such as crud internal to the switch.

Any comments - what is your experience?
    No, not aware of this ever happening
    62.50%
    Yes, from riding the brake pedal (operator error)
    0.00%
    Yes, switch out of adjustment (maintenance issue)
    25.00%
    Yes, switch failed internally (electrical failure)
    12.50%

The poll is expired.

Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

it fails on because then at least people then think you are braking all of the time instead of never braking and hopefully dont crash into you....

do your upgraded lights draw more current than standard lights? if they do maybe the additional current is prematurely burning out brake switches?

Maybe theres a reason they made the bulb plate steel eh.

Comment

Fail-safe mode

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      it fails on because then at least people then think you are braking all of the time instead of never braking and hopefully don't crash into you....
      Yes, this is the hope we all have...
      do your upgraded lights draw more current than standard lights? if they do maybe the additional current is prematurely burning out brake switches?
      Yes, they do - each lamp is only a few watts more, but having two brake lamps per side draws more than one. I think that switch failures depend more on the switch (plastic versus metal housing) than the load.
      Maybe theres a reason they made the bulb plate steel eh.
      Early cars mostly used steel for lighting internals, it was standard manufacturing. The first fives (E12) were about the first BMWs to use plastic reflectors from the start, along with late 2002s. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Most of my kits can use a relay to take the load of extra brake lamps. The trick in E30 trunks is finding a way to tap into another circuit (like the power antenna) for the relay power source.

Any input in that regard is most welcome...

Thanks!
      Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

My friend's brake light switch (behind the brake pedal) failed a little while ago, but when it failed his brake lights wouldn't light up. If I remember correctly, though it was more the mechanical part of the switch failed, not the circuit.

It is a pretty simple fix of just swapping out the switch though.
        1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
        1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
        September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
        Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

i vote for rob
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            i vote for rob
            Toads don't cause warts

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
              Toads don't cause warts
              idk wtf that means
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

When mine failed it was the switch itself as mentioned above, so no lights at all.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

IDK WTF Either ...

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                  idk wtf that means
                  Thank you, I was about to say the same ... who is rob, and what office is rob running for?

This is a thread about brake light failure and a poll about its various reasons. I was stymied when I saw that there are no 'rob' options in the poll.

Perhaps you can clear your meaning up for me?

Thanks!

Comment

You gotta have Rob on the options list for the poll.

To contribute to your cause though, I’ve never had a faulty BLS fail in the on position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol, was disappointed at no Rob option too.

But Rob was a mod and it goes back before I joined to have Rob in the poll.

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                      X