Depo Smilies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depo Smilies

I have a 1990 325i with standard sealed beam lighting. Just ordered a set of DEPO glass lense smilies. The add says to use an H1 bulb in both lights as well as a W5W for the city light. I have been looking at the info here and my brain is smoking trying to decipher what I have read. My questions are, do I need to change the size of my existing wiring, fuses to run H1 bulbs. I know I will need to do something to add the city light circuit but am at a loss as to what is needed for the high and low beams. What H1 bulbs do you guys use? How about LEDs, what is necessary there, I am assuming if LEDs are used the existing wiring, fuses, etc should be fine. Should be getting these in a couple of weeks so any info is appreciated.

Fuses can remain the same, the bulbs are still the same wattage.

Just about any H1 light bulb from the auto parts store is fine. The high and low beams all use the same bulbs, unlike the US spec lights which have double filament low's.

I have an old DIY article for the wiring conversion. It is a little wordsy, but it is still correct in terms of the wiring changes. https://bmw.e30tuner.com/articles_eurolight.php

Wiring diagrams for your car are here, and I recommend looking over the headlight section: http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/e30_89.pdf

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Thank you bmwman91, what I was looking for. Have you tried any LED H1 replacement bulbs in your set?

Comment

I have some ebay LEDs in my depo smileys.

When I first bought them, I installed the cheapest halogen H1's possible and the lighting wasn't great.
        Instead of just buying better bulbs, I went with some ebay HIDs which seemed to last a year a piece and required me to cut a hole in the back cap... They warmed up slowly and weren't much better.
        After far too long with that, I bought some ebay LEDs and they're really not much brighter than the original halogen bulbs, but now I have the benefit of having the low beam check light on all the time, and I had to butcher what was left of the back caps on the low beams in order to fit the LED heat sinks.

My depos are ~10 years old, and I'm planning to buy another set in a year or so. When I do that, I'll probably just buy some decent halogen bulbs.

I suppose some good quality LEDs might be worth the cutting if you do a lot of night driving but aren't looking to spring for a morimoto retrofit setup?
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks, Northern, guess I'll try with some good H1's and hope for the best. Anything has got to be better than the sealed beams on the car now.

Comment

Got to love this form came here for info and found exactly what I'm looking for I didn't know what size bulb went inside the top of the Depo headlight I didn't even know what it was called or what it was for come to find out it's a daytime running light and it uses the w5w bulb thanks guys you rock

this is my set up so far it has eBay LED H1 bulbs with dual color 6000k White and 3500k Ambre

Comment

Got to love this form came here for info and found exactly what I'm looking for I didn't know what size bulb went inside the top of the Depo headlight I didn't even know what it was called or what it was for come to find out it's a daytime running light and it uses the w5w bulb thanks guys you rock

this is my set up so far it has eBay LED H1 bulbs with dual color 6000k White and 3500k Ambre

Comment

Working...
              X