Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeler - Touchscreen OBC with Megasquirt CAN interface, extra sensors, outputs, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amarino
    replied
    Looks awesome!

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Here's the main update: managed to at least physically fit a much larger touchscreen display in the stock OBC location - higher resolution, too: now 480x320 vs. 320x240. Also managed to match the stock plastic texture pretty well - the sheen is a little too glossy, but a light coat of flat back paint will get it close to perfect.,

Still need to test out the new PCBs and new display in my own car, will happen soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9372.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.6 KB ID:	10119184
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9371.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	10119185

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Mildly exciting updates coming soon... assuming it all works out after some brief testing.

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Originally posted by bradnic View Post
    been lurking here for a while now.. cool project!! any updates?
    Not too many updates since last post, we’ve had a ton of snow this winter so e30 has been a little on the back burner. But PM me if you are interested in getting a kit, include some details on what you’re working on.

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    been lurking here for a while now.. cool project!! any updates?

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Looking good Mikey!

Leave a comment:

• amarino
    replied
    Very cool!
    Last edited by amarino; 01-23-2024, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Okay, minor milestone reached! First (nearly) complete kit is ready to go. As mentioned in the previous post, I will be redesigning the enclosure for the touchscreen display to fit into the stock OBC location, but otherwise the kit is complete and includes:
    • Main PCB with sealed DTM 2x12-pin connector
    • Deutsch/TE Connectivity sealed enclosure for main PCB
    • Teensy 4.0
    • Nextion 2.8” Enhanced touchscreen display with short 4-pin harness
    • 8ft, 24-pin harness (2x12-pin) with 20AWG TXL wire, and Deutsch DTM connectors (basically OEM-level wire and connectors)
    • Solid-core wire for making jumper connections on PCB
    • Micro-USB bulkhead cable, intended for mounting in the side of the Deutsch enclosure for more convenient reflashing of the Teensy and Nextion
    The redesigned Nextion OBC enclosure will make the wiring a little more tidy and improve the retention of the display within the enclosure (as compared to the initial prototype installed in my own car).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8511.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	10112772

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Dropping in to say that I’m going to be doing some redesign on the touchscreen enclosure (the piece that fits in the OBC spot). Goal is to slim it down and improve the assembly with the touchscreen. The 2.8” screen that I use is a tight fit in the stock OBC opening, so there really isn’t much room to get a screw in the holes in the touchscreen PCB - the redesign will probably be a 2-piece deal where the two pieces clamp the screen in place or something. It’s finally not stupidly cold here for the first time in weeks so hopefully I can get it disassembled and redesigned this week.

Another update will also happen quite soon…

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Originally posted by bsun260 View Post
    Thank you both for the speedy and helpful info. To clarify I did mean to refer to the OBC to the right of the radio.

I agree a test dash would be the best way to test fit and fab the internal support for servos and cables.

I do not have programming experience in the languages or protocols you mentioned above but I do have experience in VB, macros, HTML, etc. basic coding scripts. Would you think with some online learning this is something I could pick up quickly or better off hiring something like that out? I enjoy that type of stuff so I’d be down to learn. I’ll start researching arduino.

Would you guys be interested in updates here or should I start a new thread?

Thanks again!
    You can learn embedded programming relatively quickly - it's more low-level than you're used to, but you've already got a big head start, and there's a much more direct relationship between what you write and what actually happens on the hardware.

And yes, I'd like to keep this thread focused on this project, but I will keep an eye out for your new thread!

As for updates: I am trying to get a kit together for bbushree - things have been a little slow having moved this year (still haven't gotten my electronics workbench set up fully) and having a toddler, and now it's winter/snowy so my e30 is staying indoors... but my 3d printer is back up and running as of this week, I've got basically all the parts needed including the new PCB design. New PCB design means I need to do a little rewiring in my car if I want to use/test it in a real-world situation, and with aforementioned cold weather and now a non-heated garage the motivate to freeze my fingers has been low. Either way I'll be putting together a "v3.0" kit ASAP

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Thank you both for the speedy and helpful info. To clarify I did mean to refer to the OBC to the right of the radio.

I agree a test dash would be the best way to test fit and fab the internal support for servos and cables.

I do not have programming experience in the languages or protocols you mentioned above but I do have experience in VB, macros, HTML, etc. basic coding scripts. Would you think with some online learning this is something I could pick up quickly or better off hiring something like that out? I enjoy that type of stuff so I’d be down to learn. I’ll start researching arduino.

Thanks again!
    You'll be better off working at a microcontroller level like an arduino. A higher level PC based control will just add complexity.

Please start a new thread, I'm interested in following along!

Leave a comment:

• bsun260
    replied

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Originally posted by amarino View Post
    I think you mean OBC as the Check Panel is the one over your head by the rear view mirror. There is another thread where someone is making a updated PCB for that as well but it has been a while since the last update: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...k-panel-thread

Just a quick google I found this that maybe can be used as a starting point for how to get a touchscreen working on Arduino: https://projecthub.arduino.cc/hwhard...control-98d5ed

From the more mechanical side like Mikey mentioned you would want servos to replace the current sliders and temp control. Then some sort of 3D printing a new HVAC panel where you need to hold all the motors and cables behind the view of the screen. Another option would be to remove the cables entirely and hook up the servos to the different flaps and levers directly on the airbox.

First step would probably be getting a test dashboard / HVAC panel / airbox from the junkyard so you can easily work on a bench vs in the car.
    Yeah personally I would go with Nextion+Teensy/Arduino, but it that's because I'm more comfortable building relatively reliable code for a microcontroller than I would be on Linux or something. Simple UART interface between Nextion and Teensy/Arduino and simple protocol works quite well once you get up the learning curve.

Leave a comment:

• amarino
    replied
    I think you mean OBC as the Check Panel is the one over your head by the rear view mirror. There is another thread where someone is making a updated PCB for that as well but it has been a while since the last update: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...k-panel-thread

Just a quick google I found this that maybe can be used as a starting point for how to get a touchscreen working on Arduino: https://projecthub.arduino.cc/hwhard...control-98d5ed

From the more mechanical side like Mikey mentioned you would want servos to replace the current sliders and temp control. Then some sort of 3D printing a new HVAC panel where you need to hold all the motors and cables behind the view of the screen. Another option would be to remove the cables entirely and hook up the servos to the different flaps and levers directly on the airbox.

First step would probably be getting a test dashboard / HVAC panel / airbox from the junkyard so you can easily work on a bench vs in the car.

Leave a comment:

• mikey.antonakakis
    replied
    Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I found this thread while googling a touch screen solution and am immediately impressed with the intricacy of building this digital check control-eque interface. I would be an interested buyer at some point I think.

I have an idea that is a little different than what is in this thread but I think this group would be able to offer advice from what I've seen. I have an 89 325i that I am looking to do a build on at some point this year. One of my favorite customizations are older vehicles with modern touches. My fantasy has been for a long time to replace the entire climate control, radio, check control, section with a tablet to control each of those things. Ideally, the display would be customized like you did with the check control to visually look the same with touch screen enabled movement of the vent control and heat dial etc.

After seeing this thread, I realize it would be no easy feat. I also imagine that since the climate control system is mechanical, I'm guessing there would need to be motors to turn the physical pieces in the dash once the correlating command was given digitally.

All this said, I guess I'm interested to see if anyone here has any shared interested or would want to collaborate? Any guidance or advice? Looking foward to exploring more on this forum. Thanks in advance!
    Replacing the HVAC would indeed be quite tricky, as you point out you would need servos to control vents and whatnot. Check control would be doable with some work - this particular project, when it comes to the stock vehicle side of the equation, is mainly focused on sensor inputs from non-stock sources (MegaSquirt, additional sensors, etc.), and outputs to some stock systems (as a silly example, if you really wanted, you could use TPS signal from MegaSquirt CAN data broadcasting to turn on the windshield wipers when you're full throttle, with pretty minimal wiring). Basically of the stock vehicle systems that work by being switched to ground (e.g. check lamps) can be very easily controlled by this board, and more complicated systems, like the econometer, can as well, and with very minimal wiring changes to the stock harness. You'd kind of be on your own for converting HVAC controls to servos or whatever, but controlling the servos themselves would be totally doable - the microcontroller can be programmed in Arduino IDE and there are countless projects where people control servos with one.

Off the top of my head, if I were going to approach your project, I'd figure out the main touchscreen head unit I'd want to use (something off the shelf and combines audio + HVAC? maybe a Raspberry Pi with an added touchscreen? An old Android tablet with some automotive head unit Linux flavor installed? A large Nextion display, in which case I believe you'd need to handle audio separately?). Then I would run the main interface and radio/HVAC control directly on it, and figure out how what protocol is needed to get sensor signals to it. For the HVAC system, there are things like pressure and temperature switches/sensors, which you'd probably want to replace with analog sensors. The board I've design should have enough inputs to handle all the HVAC signals as analog inputs, then you can write code to send it to the main touchscreen unit over whatever protocol is used - not being super familiar with aftermarket head units that also do HVAC control, I'm not sure what that would be (probably CAN bus? If so it's doable in theory!). A good place to start for the actual control algorithm for the system would be the e30 ETM which I believes describes the functionality and control details of the stock HVAC system in detail.

It would be a big project for sure, but it would be really cool if you can figure it out!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X