Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeler - Touchscreen OBC with Megasquirt CAN interface, extra sensors, outputs, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both for the speedy and helpful info. To clarify I did mean to refer to the OBC to the right of the radio.

I agree a test dash would be the best way to test fit and fab the internal support for servos and cables.

I do not have programming experience in the languages or protocols you mentioned above but I do have experience in VB, macros, HTML, etc. basic coding scripts. Would you think with some online learning this is something I could pick up quickly or better off hiring something like that out? I enjoy that type of stuff so I’d be down to learn. I’ll start researching arduino.

Would you guys be interested in updates here or should I start a new thread?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by bsun260 View Post
      Thank you both for the speedy and helpful info. To clarify I did mean to refer to the OBC to the right of the radio.

I agree a test dash would be the best way to test fit and fab the internal support for servos and cables.

I do not have programming experience in the languages or protocols you mentioned above but I do have experience in VB, macros, HTML, etc. basic coding scripts. Would you think with some online learning this is something I could pick up quickly or better off hiring something like that out? I enjoy that type of stuff so I’d be down to learn. I’ll start researching arduino.

Thanks again!
      You'll be better off working at a microcontroller level like an arduino. A higher level PC based control will just add complexity.

Please start a new thread, I'm interested in following along!

Comment

Originally posted by bsun260 View Post

Thanks again!
        You can learn embedded programming relatively quickly - it's more low-level than you're used to, but you've already got a big head start, and there's a much more direct relationship between what you write and what actually happens on the hardware.

And yes, I'd like to keep this thread focused on this project, but I will keep an eye out for your new thread!

As for updates: I am trying to get a kit together for bbushree - things have been a little slow having moved this year (still haven't gotten my electronics workbench set up fully) and having a toddler, and now it's winter/snowy so my e30 is staying indoors... but my 3d printer is back up and running as of this week, I've got basically all the parts needed including the new PCB design. New PCB design means I need to do a little rewiring in my car if I want to use/test it in a real-world situation, and with aforementioned cold weather and now a non-heated garage the motivate to freeze my fingers has been low. Either way I'll be putting together a "v3.0" kit ASAP

Comment

Dropping in to say that I’m going to be doing some redesign on the touchscreen enclosure (the piece that fits in the OBC spot). Goal is to slim it down and improve the assembly with the touchscreen. The 2.8” screen that I use is a tight fit in the stock OBC opening, so there really isn’t much room to get a screw in the holes in the touchscreen PCB - the redesign will probably be a 2-piece deal where the two pieces clamp the screen in place or something. It’s finally not stupidly cold here for the first time in weeks so hopefully I can get it disassembled and redesigned this week.

Another update will also happen quite soon…

Comment

Okay, minor milestone reached! First (nearly) complete kit is ready to go. As mentioned in the previous post, I will be redesigning the enclosure for the touchscreen display to fit into the stock OBC location, but otherwise the kit is complete and includes:
            • Main PCB with sealed DTM 2x12-pin connector
            • Deutsch/TE Connectivity sealed enclosure for main PCB
            • Teensy 4.0
            • Nextion 2.8” Enhanced touchscreen display with short 4-pin harness
            • 8ft, 24-pin harness (2x12-pin) with 20AWG TXL wire, and Deutsch DTM connectors (basically OEM-level wire and connectors)
            • Solid-core wire for making jumper connections on PCB
            • Micro-USB bulkhead cable, intended for mounting in the side of the Deutsch enclosure for more convenient reflashing of the Teensy and Nextion
            The redesigned Nextion OBC enclosure will make the wiring a little more tidy and improve the retention of the display within the enclosure (as compared to the initial prototype installed in my own car).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8511.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	10112772

Comment

Very cool!
              Last edited by amarino; 01-23-2024, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Looking good Mikey!

Comment

been lurking here for a while now.. cool project!! any updates?
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                    been lurking here for a while now.. cool project!! any updates?
                    Not too many updates since last post, we’ve had a ton of snow this winter so e30 has been a little on the back burner. But PM me if you are interested in getting a kit, include some details on what you’re working on.

Comment

Mildly exciting updates coming soon... assuming it all works out after some brief testing.

Comment

Here's the main update: managed to at least physically fit a much larger touchscreen display in the stock OBC location - higher resolution, too: now 480x320 vs. 320x240. Also managed to match the stock plastic texture pretty well - the sheen is a little too glossy, but a light coat of flat back paint will get it close to perfect.,

Still need to test out the new PCBs and new display in my own car, will happen soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9372.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.6 KB ID:	10119184
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9371.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	10119185

Comment

Looks awesome!

Comment

Working...
                          X