Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed with Alpine CM5908 in a BMW E30

Hi
    I have a BMW 325is with an Alpine CM5908. Original installation, came with the car. It developed a crackling sound so a couple of capacitors were changed in the amplifier output stage. The sound is good now but only with the engine off. With the engine on there is a loud buzz and a hum. Figured something was wrong with the ground but everything is connected correctly. All original, nothing has been changed in the wiring. There is no CD player connected. The only thing I noticed that the white paste between the large aluminum block at the back of the unit and the amp is almost gone. Not sure what it's for and if it's important. Any help with this would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Peter

If its interference sounding, but music still plays, check the hood to body ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	96
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	10100865
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Thanks. I didn't know the hood was grounded to the body on these models. It's a 325is. The symptom, by the way, is the hum or whine increases with the RPM increase. There is no hum or whine with the engine off. The music is fine.

Comment

Interesting. I don't think either of my E30s have that hood-to-body grounding strap.
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Swapping a couple of caps in the radio isn’t necessarily going to fix your noise problem completely.
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
          X