On Board Computer on the Fritz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Board Computer on the Fritz

The 6 button on board computer in my 92 318i is acting up. It flickers and jumps around to what seems like different modes. What might this be an indication of? Is this something that’s repairable or is replacement the right way to proceed? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1921.png
Views:	121
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	10103602

the lcd screen is probably in fail. might be able to find an aftermarket replacement screen, but swapping the whole unit out is going to be easier.

Comment

When this happens in mine i flick between the columns of buttons and then its fine for the rest of the drive, lol

Comment

Same on my 91 318 finger flick will fix it, if you don't like back to the future look.

Comment

I should have posted a video. This isn't static- it's jumping around activating all of the pixels with the time sometimes visible. My kids say it's like a futuristic disco party or something. Anyway, google led me to a repair service which seems to be cheaper than what people are asking eBay. I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is, for sure, a problem within the OBC and not caused by some other failure further upstream.

If you are experiencing the typical problems associated with these late model BMW On Board Computer (OBC), it is time to fix it once and for all!! This listing is for the purchase of a SERVICE to repair your 1984 - 1991 BMW E30 3-Series, M3 digital clock / OBC.  We GUARANTEE our work 100%! Why risk buying another used

Comment

I think your issue is something else. They repair the pixels from what I understood from the advertisement.

Comment

Originally posted by ehrawn View Post
              I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is, for sure, a problem within the OBC and not caused by some other failure further upstream.

it will be the obc itself. your inputs are probably ok.

Comment

You can try replacing the screen on your own for much cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125416415187
                And easy to replace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-Sri-Wkws

Comment

Working...
                X