Kickpanel enclosure volume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickpanel enclosure volume?

Curious if anyone knows the volume of the kick panel that the front midrange speakers sit in? I've done some blunt measurements and it looks to be around 15" tall x 6" wide x 3" deep, however clearly it could be pretty different than this, especially if it actually opens up into the rockers or something like that. Has anyone ever accurately measured this?
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

I believe they breath into the sills and share space with the rear quarters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If true that's a game changer! Now I REALLY want to know!
      1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
      1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

bringing this back up to the top! Anyone have a clue?

Comment

There's alot of wiring in there, not to mention the lighting delay module. Flow through to the air cavity along the rockers is restricted as a result. You could certainly put a driver with known parameters in the kick panel, do a freq sweep and then back into a calculated volume that way. It would at least point you in the right direction.

Or just get investigate an underseat or trunk sub. Looks like sna77 has a pass footwell shallow sub setup to check out too.
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to get insane with it, just trying to use WinISD to calculate what speaker will give me the best low end extension. There are a few that are looking good with the assumed 0.1 cubic foot volume I'm plugging in, so maybe I'll just buy them and see how they perform and as you suggest, make some assumptions about enclosure volume based upon their output compared to WinISD's suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
              Thanks for the input! I'm not trying to get insane with it, just trying to use WinISD to calculate what speaker will give me the best low end extension. There are a few that are looking good with the assumed 0.1 cubic foot volume I'm plugging in, so maybe I'll just buy them and see how they perform and as you suggest, make some assumptions about enclosure volume based upon their output compared to WinISD's suggestions.
              I didn’t measure but it’s definitely shallow back there… I went with Audio Development with neodymium magnets to accommodate the shallow space to fit them...

- T100 tweeters
              - W50 front midrange 5 1/4
              - W500NEO rear 4"​

then as mentioned above, shallow footwell sub. Amazing setup. Almost complete.
              1992 318i cabrio Alpinweiss 2
              2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

Originally posted by sna77 View Post

I didn’t measure but it’s definitely shallow back there… I went with Audio Development with neodymium magnets to accommodate the shallow space to fit them...

- T100 tweeters
                - W50 front midrange 5 1/4
                - W500NEO rear 4"​

then as mentioned above, shallow footwell sub. Amazing setup. Almost complete.
                Interesting midrange. It's transfer function magnitude is awesome! Reaches down super low, which is exactly what I look for. Unfortunately when you equate it out to SPL it's a pretty quiet speaker overall. I'm also very skeptical of it's claimed 16mm xmax... that's subwoofer territory. Do you know what it's RMS power handling is? Mounting depth?

Comment

Interesting midrange. It's transfer function magnitude is awesome! Reaches down super low, which is exactly what I look for. Unfortunately when you equate it out to SPL it's a pretty quiet speaker overall. I'm also very skeptical of it's claimed 16mm xmax... that's subwoofer territory. Do you know what it's RMS power handling is? Mounting depth?
                  My trusted car stereo shop, www.sound-in-motion.com has been using AD for custom work for years. They love the products for situations where Focals won't fit. The PDF of the specs is in this link, and the W50 dimensions are on there:

They've already mounted it, so I can't hand measure unfortunately.

I stopped by for a sound tune the other day, and the system sounds incredible. Very clean

page 15:

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD.png Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	10118939

This site (in Italian) shows the power handling at 60W RMS:
                  Leggi la scheda prodotto AD Audio Development W50 | Altoparlanti - Woofer e Midwoofer

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD2.png Views:	0 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	10118940
                  2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

Here's my full build btw, showing subwoofer etc:

2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

Working...
                    X