Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No ski pass, what kind of box should i go with for my coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No ski pass, what kind of box should i go with for my coupe?

Hi all

My car has no ski pass, so only way bass can get in is the speaker holes and whatever else there is in the parcel shelf.

Anyway what kind of box should i build, ported, bandpass?

car audio setup is

Some headunit
    cheap fusion $100 splits for the front (will upg later)
    2x100w rms blaupunkt amp for front stage
    1x300w rms clarion amp for sub

cheers
    RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
    89' 318i

Aside from the normal Sony kenwood alpine crap, name some brands I might not be familiar with over there...I did an E30 once with a JBL GTi 12 in a 4 cubic foot bandpass box.

FWIW, you CANNOT fit a 4 cubic foot box through the trunk opening...ask me how I know...that damn thing just slammed, damn near enough bass to cause an aneurysm, but very nice sound quality.

The issue is that these days, very few woofers work in a bandpass box. Most simply lose all their power handling in any kind of bandpass environment.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

what about ported versus sealed?

i would prefer to just do a large sealed box.

And what direction should i fire the sub? to the pacel shelf? or just to the boot wall with dynamat and all that.
      89' 318i

Comment

Just do it

Comment

I don't mean to hijack the thread at all, and maybe you could even just do this:

Hey Stereoinstaller:

I've always thought about cutting a hole in the rear shelf and putting an 8" or a 10" sub in there...do you think that would work?

EDIT: Found a pic

Originally posted by Dozyproductions
          All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

im not going to cut anything lol

I know its not a M3 or anything but over here a clean e30 is hard to find and it has no rust aswell so id like to keep it as OG as possible.

plus noone knows if its got a structural benefit or not lol.

if theres a way to shallow mount subs in the parcelshelf and get decent results id probably do it, i wouldnt want anything sticking up too far into my visiblity tho.
            89' 318i

Comment

Well look at the pic! Those are pretty damn flush! Then all you do is carpet the rear shelf again and it will look professionally done.

BTW... did you use OG as original gangster? haha
              Originally posted by Dozyproductions
              All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

og = original ganster yes

and i know they look flush in the pic but you had to cut the parcel shelf out lol
                89' 318i

Comment

Originally posted by mamzak View Post
                  Well look at the pic! Those are pretty damn flush! Then all you do is carpet the rear shelf again and it will look professionally done.

BTW... did you use OG as original gangster? haha
                  Dude, you need to shut the fuck up and spend some time learning.

1. there are SPRINGS under where those woofers are. Yes, you can hack you way around them, but the idea here is stock-ish, not hackery.

2. Go buy a fucking tape measure. 10" woofers won't fit in an E30 rear deck.

3. You have never done a goddamn thing "professionally' in your fucking life, have you?

Wrap that garbage in carpet? Are you out of your fucking mind? How much do you think those woofers are gonna fart and flop around? If they actually made any bass, how much do you think it would make the rear deck flop...jesus fuck the fucking ROOF of my car moves a good 2" on big boom, how the hell do you thing a "carpet wrapped rear deck" is gonna work over that garbage?

So YOU look at the pic, fool. That isn't an E30...but you wouldn't know that since you haven't actually DONE anything yet.

Shut the fuck up kid, men are talking here.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

lol im sticking out of this one hahaha

But yeah

So if i went for a ported box and had the ports firing towards the speaker holes would that add much sound or not really? and what direction should i fire the sub? towards the speaker holes? or just against the back of the boot

and yeah if winisd shows that the subs will work well in a bandpass box is that all that i need to know? or are you saying they dont perform like they should these days.
                    Last edited by Gruelius; 04-26-2010, 12:31 AM.
                    89' 318i

Comment

Personally, I say if you aren't willing to cut, put the ports and the woofer on the same side of the box. Just be prepared, it is gonna rattle you whole damn car.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by Gruelius View Post
                        lol im sticking out of this one hahaha

Oh, and sorry. I just get so sick of idiot kids thinking they have half a clue...especially this one.

Closing SOON!

Comment

ah shit the rattles going to lick taint.

I was hoping if i got quality gear i could get around that.

so if i had a ski port and it firing into the car there would be no/lower rattle?

and are there any incabin sub setups i could try? like what about behind the ashtray if i built a moulded box that goes around the trans tunnel?

Last edited by Gruelius; 04-26-2010, 01:06 AM.
                          89' 318i

Comment

I've heard Luke's box in an E30 without a ski pass seat, he just cut out the metal part and it still hits hard through the seat.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Tuanies the problem is i do not have the metal part. Early body E30's dont have that ski pass touch welded into the back of the seat. which is why i made this thread.
                              89' 318i

Comment

Working...
                              X