Glovebox/Subbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glovebox/Subbox?

Hey guys, I have a bit of experience with car audio, building competition systems, custom fiberglass enclosures, and whatnot but I've been out of it for a number of years. I recently picked up this e30 and would like to add a little sound but really want to keep the system small and simple. I have a tendency to get carried away with this sort of thing. I've been playing around with the idea of glassing in the glove box to make a small sub enclosure. With a bit of modifying it looks like I can get about .4cuft which should work well for an 8in sub. The latch would need to be reinforced I imagine.

It seems like a good way to keep the sound up front and not lose much trunk space. What do you guys think? Too much work for an 8? I used to prefer 12's but I'm not 20 anymore and figure I can live without those last few Hz and Db's these days.

-Steven

Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

They said it couldn't be done...

But I'm doin it.

This is in the rough sand stage, it should be roughly .5cf when it's complete.

Yes, I know it looks rough. It's nowhere near complete. I have a ton of sanding to do then sculpt the handle pocket.

I've built many boxes and enjoy bodywork. This is the first time doing fleece and glass. It's been a very interesting learning experience to say the least. I'm not one to take on simple projects, I just jump in and tread water 'till I figure it out.

It'll be covered in leather when it's done.

This will house a shallow 8, and yes, I'm going to remove the material under the sub.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DRTSRFR; 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM.
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

I think too much work, but go for it. Looks like a fun project. I'd be worried about vibration, though.
        turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
        Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

So far I only have a couple of hours into it. I'm not planning on a big thumper, just something for a little base fill in the 'vert. The tricky part is going to be the upper part of the enclosure. I took out the plastic that hides the ecu, closed up a non modified glovebox, and used expanding foam in a bag to get the dimensions for the top.
          Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

I like the expanding foam idea. I was planning on just a flat piece of MDF for the top but the foam will eek out a few more cc's for sure.

As far as vibration, I think that as long as the box is rigid and the woofer is facing down toward the passenger's feet it shouldn't be a problem.

-Steven

Comment

Yeah, MDF will take up lots of room and there's not much up there. that's what made me think of the foam as it will allow you to eek out every possible centimeter.

So far, it's solid as a rock and there's actually not much added weight. I don't think there will be a vibration problem.
              Last edited by DRTSRFR; 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM.
              Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

You know the dme is right above the glove box, right? If it was my car I probably wouldn't put a sub so close to it.

Either way, good luck with your install! Seems like a neat project. I did an 8" in a center console once.
                - Josh
                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

I used to do quite a few 911's by building a center console with a side-firing 8". I think you are gonna be pretty happy with that 8" in there, but I would recommend a layer of sorbathane over the DME, just to control the vibrations a bit.

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...

More than anything this is an experiment. I wanted to teach myself the art of fleece/glass enclosures, and boy did I pick a challenge! This will be more of a study in sculpting than glasswork.

But now I wonder...will the magnet affect the DME?
                    Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

The aluminum case on the Motronic SHOULD block most EMI since it is well grounded. However, the vibrations generated by the sub are a little worrysome. Those electronics are already 20+ years old, and all that vibration isn't going to help improve what's left of their life.

Then again, a M20 car + a sub there is probably going to be about the same as running in an M42 car. The M42 doesn't use balance shafts or anything...it runs ROUGH!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

In that case Lukes box should DESTROY all of the electronics in the car:p
                        Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
                          In that case Lukes box should DESTROY all of the electronics in the car:p
                          They do. Broken tachs, speedos, all gauges are suspect. I would never do an SPL system in a BMW, nothing over 135db for me.

BMWMAN, I am shocked. You should know better, aluminum doesn't block EMI at all, only Mu-Metal does.

And Mark, I have a question: If you are wrapping with leather, why not just fill in the hole where the handle was? It isn't gonna open anyway, right? You can secure the front with a "pivot" (see E34 seat brackets for an idea I would do) and bolt the rear in...or mount it on sliders and motorize it like I am doing the wifes car.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

You know Luke, I don't really know why I decided to keep the handle pocket other than to make it look somewhat factory finished..

But I'm really glad you chimed in. A sliding mechanism would work, or just simply bolting it up may be a solution also.

But now I'm wondering about destroying the DME...

This thing may ultimately end up as art on my shop wall. My other solution is to make a "fake" seat bottom and apholstering it.
                            Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

I made one for my convertible. There is a fiberglass box inside the glovebox, and the amp in no longer in there either.
                              I am using a 6.5 inch bose subwoofer from a escalade.

Tri color fabric for sale here!
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=105922

Comment

Working...
                              X