Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Bass? Spring box build is here! E34s too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
    Got most the trunk tar removed, at least at the front of the trunk, It didn't come out very easily at all, especially the area over the exhaust pipe where it was nice and sticky. Box still not fitting though. Anyone else buy a 12" box? Anyone successfully installed it yet?
    Unfortunately, I think that this is a case of "every car is a little bit different.". Kind of like the front strut tower dimensions that are inexplicably two different measures.

When I install my 12" box, my hope is that I'll be able to shove a couple pieces of 3.5" PVC in the vent holes so that I can get a pretty exact indication of where the port holes go. Unfortunately, this looks like a good example of why it's best to verify measurements before cutting.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Maybe so, I guess my car is a bit different. I followed the instructions on the install thread, and the picture of my drilled holes looks to be spot on the picture of the holes luke did himself. Not sure really. I'm hoping to still somehow magically make the box fit as is but I guess I'll have to do a little extra cutting to make the port line up just right.

Shouldn't really matter though won't see the botched cutting job when its hidden under the rear deck liner, too bad I already drilled through my rear deck liner so now I've gotta use another one... Even though I was thinking about putting a 6x9 speaker grill or something over the port holes to keep stuff from falling inside the box, but that might look pretty goofy.
      West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
      ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Started the install on my 10" box and fits like a glove. Amazing quality, and easy install. Thanks again Luke!

1991 Alpine 318i w/S52 swap

Comment

Ah wow that looks so good I'm jealous! SHould have just got the 10" box and I would have been done with it.... oh well. Um maybe I'm just not that informed but where did you get the speakerless rear deck? Looks neat.
          West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
          ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMishMoo View Post
            Ah wow that looks so good I'm jealous! SHould have just got the 10" box and I would have been done with it.... oh well. Um maybe I'm just not that informed but where did you get the speakerless rear deck? Looks neat.
            I had the speaker holes closed when I got it recovered so it's not a stock piece.

Comment

Originally posted by brgracer View Post
              I had the speaker holes closed when I got it recovered so it's not a stock piece.
              Dare I ask why? Most of the sound you hear comes from those 2 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                Most of the sound you hear comes from those 2 speakers.
                Shouldn't

John
                The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by harv View Post
                  Shouldn't

John
                  Shouldnt? Do explain

Comment

Dare I ask why? Most of the sound you hear comes from those 2 speakers.
                    I have a sedan, and for me the rears would only have been there for some rear fill that was not a priority to me. I think that with good front components and a Luke box sub, it will provide great sound for the driver. I have rear passengers so infrequently that rear occupant sound quality is low on the priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by brgracer View Post
                      I have a sedan, and for me the rears would only have been there for some rear fill that was not a priority to me. I think that with good front components and a Luke box sub, it will provide great sound for the driver. I have rear passengers so infrequently that rear occupant sound quality is low on the priority list.
                      I don't have anyone in my back seats except for a dog, but on my lunch i did a fade test and the sound is much louder when faded to the rear as opposed to the front. I am running Reference 5 1/4 components front and rear powered via 5 channel amp.

Not hating on your setup by any means I am just curious!

Comment

I don't have anyone in my back seats except for a dog, but on my lunch i did a fade test and the sound is much louder when faded to the rear as opposed to the front. I am running Reference 5 1/4 components front and rear powered via 5 channel amp.

Not hating on your setup by any means I am just curious!
                        Oh I didn't think that you were hating at all. Certainly rear speakers might make things sound "fuller," I don't think that you want higher frequency music coming at your ears mainly from the rear. Think about a good home stereo setup, good pair of speakers well spaced in front of you with tweeters near ear level. Unless you have a huge collection of SACDs and a deck to play them in full surround, I just don't think that rear speakers are all that important in an E30. YMMV.

Comment

In a well set up car, more sound will come from the front than the rear. I run rear speakers purely for the MS-8's DSP. They have almost no power going to them.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I deleted my rear speakers on Luke's advice when he built my system. The way he set it up sounds great to me.

Comment

Maybe I've just got crap speakers but I always keep my fade set to +3 (sometimes even +4) on the front just so that I can actually hear the kick panel speakers, at a zero fader the rears completely overpower everything else.

Comment

any updates on a 12" e34 box? Thanx

Comment

Working...
                                X