Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdrick323 View Post
    How do you know it sounds like ass, have you heard it?

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2
    To answer both of your questions Luke took the time to send you a link and then you bought JL crap. Yes that cheap budget amp is better.

I don't need to hear the box, you told us what amp you are powering it with.

I would suggest that you go back Read.

I have been around car audio all my life, I don't mean to come across like a dick but its aggravating reading posts form people that haven't taken the time to read this very informative material that Luke has supplied us all with.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
      Luke, I gotta say the box works great in the E30. Had to secure my license plate with double sided foam tape to stop one of 2 places the car was rattling. The other is the roof, but just cracking any of the windows helps.

Been using your box with a Mmats P3.0 10" and Mmats D600.1 amp, along with an Audison SR5 to power the rest (used to run it all off the SR5, hence the 5 channel vs 4)
      Oh sweet...that woofer looks so damn good on paper, glad to hear it fits and performs. I will make sure that stays on the list of acceptable woofers.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^I was using a Mmats P 2.5 10" woofer, but burned the coils on two of them with the D600 amp. I was also worried about fitment with the P 3.0 as the magnet is HUUUUUUGE! It fits just fine though...and moves a ton of air....

Comment

I have my car wired up exactly as this how-to specifies. I have been enjoying it for a few months then, while driving down the road one day my radio cut-out. It now reads miswiring, check wiring. I went through and checked every single connection that was made in wiring the system in and checked all of the fuses. What could I be missing?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
            I have my car wired up exactly as this how-to specifies. I have been enjoying it for a few months then, while driving down the road one day my radio cut-out. It now reads miswiring, check wiring. I went through and checked every single connection that was made in wiring the system in and checked all of the fuses. What could I be missing?
            All kinds of stuff! First, I would disconnect the speakers and test the deck with a different speaker, so you will know it is good.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Ok Luke, I don't want to make any purchases without your advice, as I want to get the most bang for my buck, and I completely trust your input.
              My car came with a terribly installed system including a jvc headunit, generic wiring routed all over the place, and pioneer 5.25 speakers.

So far I have replaced the old head unit with an alpine unit, fixed some of the wiring, and installed a 10" boston acoustics sub that I already had laying around.

First off, I fully plan on ordering one of your enclosures and unleashing the magic of a lukebox as soon as I have the funds, and have the trunk tar scraped out. For now I am stuck with the sub-par generic box I am currently using.

In the meantime I picked up a set of premium system tweeter pods, and am planning on ordering the 5 channel amp you recommended a few posts back. I intend to re wire the system following your guide in this thread, as there are currently generic wires routed terribly to the rear speakers.

TLDR:
              My question is regarding the front speaker setup. Am I better off spending $30 on passive crossovers to use up front with the pioneer 5.25's and the premium tweeters, or spending that money on a used set of premium midrange speakers and tossing the pioneers?
              Considering my starting point, what is my best plan of action to make the most out of my system while spending as little money as possible?

Do auto-x events count for car shows for you current sale? Other than auto-x in the summer and ice racing in the winter, I don't really do car shows.

Comment

Well, since you plan on a sub, having no bass up front will not lose you too much sleep. Might be a bit frustrating, but you will live.

In the meantime, what you might wanna do is just grab a set of component speakers, it is an easy fix.

Closing SOON!

Comment

I think i may be a little confused by your response. Are you saying I should not worry about a crossover, and just cut out the bass to both the pioneers and tweeters at the amp from the amp?

My understanding is that I can't use the tweeters without a crossover ( either the ones built into the premium speakers, or external aftermarket ones), and still have the entire frequency range being feed to them.

In an effort to get good sound without breaking the bank, do you think I should:
                  A- toss the pioneers and get a used set of premium speakers to use with the tweeters.
                  B- get a pair of crossovers to use with the pioneers and tweeters I already have.
                  C- replace everything up front with a new component setup.
                  D-just connect the tweeters/pioneers to the amp without an external crossover.

If you think there is no way to make the pioneer+tweeter combo I already have work at a satisfactory level, and I should get a component setup, do you have any budget conscious recommendations?

I am really trying to fix my audio system without spending a fortune, and I know you are the guy to ask. I just feel overwhelmed by the options, and don't want to end up with poor sound due to my ignorance.

Comment

Well, depending on budget, I say "C" is your best bet.

Most all Pioneer co-ax are just miserable squawky things, so I think you would be happier using pretty much any component speaker.

There is a great sale on Bravox components at Part-express.com. I have not heard them, but they look great. Otherwise, the upper-end Pioneer is really nice too.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Its up between:

Bravox CS50S $39.80

Bravox CS50D $49.80

Bravox CS50K $59.80

Pioneer TS-A1304C $60.09

Aside from price, is there anything else I need to know to choose between them?

I promise I'll post up lots of pics of how I installed them, and where I put the crossovers, to help others who decide to go this route.

Comment

Th Pioneers you want are the TS-D: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D13...onent+speakers

am not seeing them cheaper.

The hassle of front speakers is all in the mounting.

The woofers of today have a suspension overhanging the outer face of the frame, Makes for a better speaker but does have a tendency to rub the grille.

The Bravox Kevlars is what I would do, the crossovers are far nicer.

LMK when you are gonna be ready for that box, we have a ton of everything in stock right now.

Thanks!
                        Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Ordered the CS50K's, a kevlar 5.25 component setup. Available through amazon, for the same price, but cheaper shipping!

I will post up some pictures of the installation, and a review of my impression of the sound. For my complete lack of knowledge of what makes for the best sound in car audio, I have a fairly discerning ear regarding quality, so if they sound good, I'll let you all know, and if they are garbage, I'll confess that as well.

Also, I pm'd you about a 10' box as well. I can't wait to get some good sound in my e30!
                          Last edited by Andy.B; 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            The hassle of front speakers is all in the mounting.

Makes for a better speaker but does have a tendency to rub the grille.

The Bravox Kevlars is what I would do, the crossovers are far nicer.
                            Do you think that those Bravox woofers will fit behind the factory kick panel grille without interference?

What about in regards to depth? They appear to have a deep magnet/VC assembly.

Also, any advice on where you would hide that large crossover?
                            '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Will they fit behind the kick panel? Hopefully.
                              Where will I put the crossovers? Probably above the driver side knee bolster, in order to keep them away from the ecu.

Comment

Agreed, but FYI, I have put crossovers directly touching the DME before without issue.

Seems GM cars have the biggest issue with that!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                                X