Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
    I just finished installing this set-up in my car today:

-Luke 10in box in black, of course
    -Polk db 10in. MM1040 sub
    -Eclipse 3650 5/4 channel amp
    -jvc kd-r730bt head unit
    -MB Quart ONX213 Mids up front
    -Pioneer TS-G1344R Coaxial Mids out back
    -MB Quart OTK-30 OTK-30 tweeters up front

MY GOD DOES IT SOUND AWESOME! I love the head unit, it has a perfect match for the BMW orange. The sub sounds great but, we all know that is mostly due to Stereoinstaller's awesome box though!

Both the Pioneer and the MB Quart mids sound great, eventually I would like to get a matching set of one or the other. Any suggestions on which is better of the pair I have? I am leaning towards the MBs because the Pioneers are coaxial and the tweeters in them kind of suck.
    How do you rate the interface on the headunit as far as searching through long ipod song/artist lists? Is it basically controllable just through the ipod device?

Comment

It is really simple. You press the menu button and have an option of playlists, artist, albums and songs. My only complaint is that once you start a song, if you decide you want to listen to a different song from the artist and you want to go back to the list of the songs you have to go back to the main menu, you cant just press the back button. If that makes sense.

Comment

Ya, makes sense. I might go with this HU rather than the $200 alpine one. I will save the extra 80+ bucks for the money towards the speakers.

From more research, I think I might go with the MB Quart ONX213 Onyx 5.25-Inch Component Speakers for the front, and Alpine SPS-510 5.25" 2-ways for the rear with the planet audio amp and the infiniti 1062w woofer. How does that sound for a setup? I just want a system that will be clean and last. I dont want to blow any windows, just enjoy my jazz and vocally inclined music in my s50 swapped baby.

Comment

I would definitely recommend the MB quart speakers. Is there any reason not to run the MB Quarts all around?

Comment

Seems like the amp you recommended is NLA. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyOg View Post
              Seems like the amp you recommended is NLA. Any other suggestions?
              There are tons of decent 5 channel amps out there, and most are the same product. Find one that you like the looks of and PM me a link, if ya wanna

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Planet Audio 1800.5. It's already Luke-approved.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                  I would definitely recommend the MB quart speakers. Is there any reason not to run the MB Quarts all around?
                  Well, I just didnt think the MBQuart 213s all around was smart since they are component speakers. I thought the Alpines were good in the back since they are a good 2-way speaker option.

Comment

Eh, you can run tweeters off of the MB's.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                      Now, as you see, the wires running from the trunk connect to the wires that run to the front and connect to the front wires behind the deck, so you need not run any wire at all, except RCAs and remote.

I am hoping that it is obvious that you don't connect these wires to anything else. They are just front speaker wires now, from the amp to the stock locations.

Luke
                      I was going to run all new wire... I can't believe I didn't think of this. You are a genius

Awesome write up by the way

Comment

I have been in the car stereo world for more than 30 yrs. Everyone seems to think that firing the sub toward the cabin is the best way well try turning it around facing out and you will double the sound and quality. JL makes the top subs. I also have moved my tweeters from the a pillar to where the manual window crank was and it made a world of difference. Also try MacIntosh amps, you will never be more happy. I also has had good luck with CDT speakers, not too bright and very musical.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never actually heard a Lukebox.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by lotusing View Post
                            I have been in the car stereo world for more than 30 yrs. Everyone seems to think that firing the sub toward the cabin is the best way well try turning it around facing out and you will double the sound and quality. JL makes the top subs. I also have moved my tweeters from the a pillar to where the manual window crank was and it made a world of difference. Also try MacIntosh amps, you will never be more happy. I also has had good luck with CDT speakers, not too bright and very musical.
                            First: this thread is called "How to install a killer stereo for $500". This is a tutorial for broke people who want great sound. Feel free to make your own tutorial about how to get great sound for a few thousand or whatever.

That point having been made, let me say that I fail to see how CDT or Macintosh will be of much help to someone with a few hundred bucks to spend. Simply enough, any clown can make Macintosh amps sound great, but building a truly world-class sound for $500 is another story, and the point of this tutorial.

As far as my credentials, I have been a full time professional installer since 1980 and have specialized in BMW since 1984. I was trained in San Diego, where I worked for several different companies, all of whom were considered "High End", including La Jolla Audio. I have done systems in well over 150 of these cars over their lifetime, and have done many of them just the way you are describing with the woofers facing backwards...well, let me tell you, it just does not work.

Trust me, a single 10" in one of these boxes will kick the crap out of a pair of 12" installed in the typical "Car Stereo Shop" design in an E30 (or even most BMWs) Better yet, attend some meets in your area, I have shipped dozens of boxes to New Jersey, you surely will hear one sooner or later.

The reason I have sold well over 600 of these boxes so far is because I know how to make these car sound great through both physics and experience. Sealing the entire output of the subwoofer into the cabin is crucial to this design. I cannot overstate the importance of this. The design of this box is highly efficient, very space conscious, phenomenal sound quality and by design not only does not make rattle, it actually makes your car quieter.

Oh yeah, its cheap too. No car stereo installer could build this level of precision at even double the price, and most certainly not with the craftsmanship. These fit incredibly well and that fit is another reason they perform so well.

So, as far as your point about your typical "Car Stereo Shop" idea of firing into the trunk...well, let me put it like this: To me, the logic of intentionally firing a woofer into the trunk is just plain silly. Would you place your home theater subwoofer in another room?

No?

Well why the hell would you do it in your car?

Luke

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Well I need to respond not only to back up what I said but to help this person put in a reasonably price system in his car. First of all you are right anyone can make a MacIntosh sound good but I built my system over 20 yrs and thats how long it took me to get there but there are other amps out there that also sound good without spending alot of money like diamond audio,jl amps, even some alpine amps. CDT also makes speakers that are not that expensive and still sound smooth. If you like bright sound then you go with MB quartz or pioneer. When it come to subs, I agree that it takes alot of experience to build a solid box and trying to make one yourself will be a challenge that will take a long while to master but I found that by firing the sub away from the car gave me twice the sound and you cannot say that it is like putting a speaker in another room because your car is a box and there is no where else the bass is going to go. The tweeter positioning is also very important. They should be firing at each other if you can or follow the manual and it will tell the best way to fire that particular speaker. And lastly go on diyaudio and these guys have heard and played with just about everything and read what they say about what you are thinking of buying before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                                Get me exact model numbers so we know if what you have is a proper combo.

Pretty much all JL woofers aside form the W7 fit...and me and the guy that designed that woofer think the same, his woofers do kick ass in my boxes.
                                Originally posted by Edirtyy808 View Post
                                i believe its a jl 12w1v2 sub and a rockford p200 or p300 2 channel amp.

everything is already wired. so i wouldnt have to do any wiring right? or do i?
                                im still waiting on this answer luke. i finally got the cash, just need directions on if this would work? or should i ditch the 2 channel amp and go 5 channel/ but how would i re wire?

Comment

Working...
                                X