Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was me I would go 5 channel for simplicity.

As far as the guy name dropping every mid to high grade product in the industry on his 10th post, Luke is right, You will never get the sound out of a conventional,sealed,isobaric or otherwise firing the woofers into the trunk, Thats just old school. I have had many sound Q and SPL vehicles over the years, I have been a Diablo club member and been installing for 15 years doing custom enclosures and I will tell you that My mind was blown last summer when a kid showed up in a 2 door e30 with a 12' LUKEBOX , low end kicker sub and separates and a kicker 5 channel amp, It was unreal the amount of sound that came out of that vehicle without it leaving the cabin.

I was sold, Yes I could duplicate the box, But the amount of time and R&D into it is more than any custom,fiber,filled,plexi mess high end shop could ever put out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkworks View Post

As far as the guy name dropping every mid to high grade product in the industry on his 10th post, Luke is right, You will never get the sound out of a conventional,sealed,isobaric or otherwise firing the woofers into the trunk, Thats just old school. I have had many sound Q and SPL vehicles over the years, I have been a Diablo club member and been installing for 15 years doing custom enclosures and I will tell you that My mind was blown last summer when a kid showed up in a 2 door e30 with a 12' LUKEBOX , low end kicker sub and separates and a kicker 5 channel amp, It was unreal the amount of sound that came out of that vehicle without it leaving the cabin.

I was sold, Yes I could duplicate the box, But the amount of time and R&D into it is more than any custom,fiber,filled,plexi mess high end shop could ever put out.
      Wow...this is just humbling.

EDIT: Who was that kid?

Thank you

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Armenian Kid that was at the Vintage meet, Car wasnt in the show but he might be on here. Surprise Surprise His uncle owned a Car audio shop and did the install, I saw the car on craigslist a while back, No audio tho. Maybe it was on here, Alpine 318 black int, Fairly stock. He indicated thet he had a benz also.

I am not saying that is was a SPL monster or A Sound Q car, But it was well installed and tuned and I would have to say that The Box had alot to do with the Low fill.

Luke pat yourself on the back, Its an awesome product. As soon as My Bucket becomes reliable I will be ordering one, Plan on seeing a bad ass install.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkworks View Post
          so i should get a 5 channel, and re wire everything? thanks just needed some guidance.

Comment

Are there any, somewhat simple, alternatives to attaching an amp to the back of your box, Luke?

Edit: After rereading, my question doesn't seem very clear... Let me try again: Are there any locations an amp could easily be placed that I wouldn't have to worry about having stuff push up against it?
            Last edited by lambo; 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

You could buy one of Luke's amp racks and put a solid carpeted panel on it instead of a window.

Comment

Originally posted by beta14ok View Post
                You could buy one of Luke's amp racks and put a solid carpeted panel on it instead of a window.
                Yeah, I was originally going to do that, but keep the window... However, after looking at this picture:

And the fact that I am starting to consider a 12" box... I'm starting to think it might take up more space than I would like.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I think that picture is deceiving. Notice that the "pretty panel" is still completely fore of the front of the truck lid opening.

OTOH, there is certainly room behind the OEM side trunk trim panels. Impact damage to the amplifiers in a collision though becomes a greater concern.

Comment

There is almost enough room to pull a stock spare out with the 12" and the amp rack.

We will be making a false floor kit sooner or later, the 12" will then have full spare tire access.

Thanks!
                    Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      Yeah, I was originally going to do that, but keep the window... However, after looking at this picture:

And the fact that I am starting to consider a 12" box... I'm starting to think it might take up more space than I would like.
                      I had a 12" box on my E30 (sold now) and no amp rack and could still get to the spare tire. I just mounted the amp to the box. I had a cheap cheap Sony Xplod amp and woofer and cheap Dual HU and SHOCKED people when they heard it. Mega bass and ZERO rattle. This was an 87 325e with almost 300k miles. The best part, you couldn't hear it outside of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
                        I think that picture is deceiving. Notice that the "pretty panel" is still completely fore of the front of the truck lid opening.

OTOH, there is certainly room behind the OEM side trunk trim panels. Impact damage to the amplifiers in a collision though becomes a greater concern.
                        Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        There is almost enough room to pull a stock spare out with the 12" and the amp rack.

We will be making a false floor kit sooner or later, the 12" will then have full spare tire access.

Thanks!
                        Luke
                        Luke, do you happen to have more pictures of a 10" and/or a 12" box with the amp rack? I am genuinely curious about the remaining trunk space with either setups. Also, that false floor sounds cool! You just keep finding ways to make me want to throw more money at you ;)

Originally posted by klavender1 View Post
                        I had a 12" box on my E30 (sold now) and no amp rack and could still get to the spare tire. I just mounted the amp to the box. I had a cheap cheap Sony Xplod amp and woofer and cheap Dual HU and SHOCKED people when they heard it. Mega bass and ZERO rattle. This was an 87 325e with almost 300k miles. The best part, you couldn't hear it outside of the car.
                        Yeah I had a 10" box in my car for a short period and my friend now has one in his. I originally wanted a 10" one just to be conservative but I really, really like the idea of porting through the rear deck so I'm starting to lean towards the 12 just for that.

Comment

Luke, do you happen to have more pictures of a 10" and/or a 12" box with the amp rack?
                          I have some of a 10" box in the Klaus build thread.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                            I have some of a box in the Klaus build thread.
                            Hmmmm... That still leaves a decent amount of trunk space. Especially for a car that won't be making long distance voyages with lots of stuff.

Comment

Hmmmm... That still leaves a decent amount of trunk space. ........
                              yep ...'specially on the e3010 w/ amp rack.

..........and a ridiculous amount of bass if you have a ski pass or large ports.

Comment

Originally posted by beta14ok View Post
                                yep ...'specially on the e3010 w/ amp rack.

..........and a ridiculous amount of bass if you have a ski pass or large ports.
                                Yeah, I didn't really want to port my seats but I think I might do that until I source an armrest seat or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X