DIY: Flush Mount C33, C43, CD43 in E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Flush Mount C33, C43, CD43 in E30

I searched and couldn't find any suitable options for flush mounting a C33, C43, CD43, etc into the the E30. As you are all most likely aware, the E36 radios install directly into the E30 HVAC panel, but stick out about 1/4". I will be installing a LukeBox in May and started to prep my car for the install. The headunit was the first piece of the install and I am using a stock C43 business cassette player.

This thread is to document how I modified my tape deck to fit flush into the stock cutout without modifying the panel. Some guys enlarge the opening and glue brackets for the new player to mount to. This method typically is only as good as the bracket mounts and usually has a crude opening for mounting. I wanted to maintain the stock mounting position and as clean as an install as possible.

First the initial problem was that the lip on C43 was much thicker than the E30 unit which caused it to protrude about 1/4". This was fixed by removing the plastic face and trimming. The next issue was that the fixing brackets only were designed to extend to a few mm's from the back of the face. The mechanisms needed to be modified in order to increase the throw of the clamps.

On to the install:

Tools/supplies used:
    BMW radio tool (5 sided, NOT hex)
    Air grinder
    Air cutoff wheel
    Tape
    Super glue
    Phillips screw driver
    5mm x .8mm die

Total time: 2 hours

1.) Remove the stock headunit with the BMW tool: 82 11 1 466 971 ($15) or a five (5!) sided bit. The screw is NOT a hex head.

2.) Remove 2 screws on top front sides (photos is post modified C43):

3.) Remove 2 rear screws on radio (top 2 shown):

4.) Remove volume control knob by simply pulling straight out.

5.) Unclip front plastic bezel. There are several clips around the top/sides. There is one clip that is offset on the top towards the right as you are looking at the unit.

6.) Unscrew 2 screw on sides of tape deck:

7.) Pull front 'face' out and out of the way.

8.) Remove 2 clips at base of threaded brass install rods. Completely unscrew rod with BMW/radio tool and set aside.

9.) Use a 5mm x .8mm die to extend the threads on this screw. I stopped just slightly from the top in order maintain a shoulder for the spring to sit on per the stock configuration.

10.) Completed screw, spring, and securing c clip shown:

11.) Next grind the tabs that protrude when the brass screw is tightened. This needs to be down as it will bottom out if not done. Modifided vs non modified:

12.) Knock off all tabs on the cage of the radio. Make sure to grind the tabs on the inside where the securing screws are located, the tabs on the top, sides, bottom, etc.

13.) Reinstall modified mounting screws, tabs, c clips, etc. Reaffix 'face' and 2 screws. Test for binding.

14.) Now modify the plastic bezel. Tape along the edge in line with the mounting tabs on the side. Remove illumination plastic. Use a cut off tool to trim the outer lip all of the way around:

15.) Use a flat disc to grind smooth all of the way around bezel. There are 2 securing tabs that hold the tab doors in place. These will fall out. Grind smooth.

16.) Lightly glue securing tabs. Dont use too much glue, it could seep onto doors.

17.) Clip in illumination and lightly grind top away. This will be evident when test fitting into HVAC panel. Only one side will contact.

18.) Apply a few dabs of glue to secure illumination.

19.) Re-clip bezel onto tape deck. Test fitment. If there are no clearance issues, screw in 2 mounting bolts from step 2. Align volume knob and push on firmly.

20.) Photos of finished product. Securing tabs, in, extended, face..

Couple of notes. It may be a good idea to apply black tape around illumination where bezel was ground away. This could help to prevent any light from seeping out. Total time to modify everything was about 2 hours. I initially enlarged an HVAC panel and mounted my C43 but wasn't satisfied with the mounting and the fit and finish.

Good luck.

Jim H.

Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Dude! This is perfect as I never liked the idea of trimming the bezel. Over thinking it maybe, but I like this method better. Will be doing this to my CD43 sitting under my bed.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I do like the idea of this but have concerns / questions.

The HVAC panels are relatively cheap but the faceplate of the C43/CD43 is not. If I screw this up, bad news.

95///M3, when you get yours installed, will you please post photos (in the dash) and comment on the light leakage issue further? Maybe night pictures so we can see unwanted light leakage is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
          Dude! This is perfect as I never liked the idea of trimming the bezel. Over thinking it maybe, but I like this method better. Will be doing this to my CD43 sitting under my bed.
          The main reason I went this route is that it is much cleaner. I have done both modifications now, and both take nearly the same time, but I think this is a better method. My .02.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbark26 View Post
            I do like the idea of this but have concerns / questions.

The HVAC panels are relatively cheap but the faceplate of the C43/CD43 is not. If I screw this up, bad news.

95///M3, when you get yours installed, will you please post photos (in the dash) and comment on the light leakage issue further? Maybe night pictures so we can see unwanted light leakage is not an issue.
            Absolutely. Patience and the right tools are the keys for modifying the face plate.

I think a strip of black gaffer's tape should help to eliminate any light. I will post photos when I install it.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

And thanks again for sharing this alternative installation method. Good thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by 95///M3 View Post
                I searched and couldn't find any suitable options for flush mounting a C33, C43, CD43, etc into the the E30....
                Jim H.
                Reviving the post! Can you post a picture of the radio installed?

Comment

Very cool. If I still had a CD43, I would have been all over this. My method involved a little cutting of the HVAC panel (inside) and epoxying metal tabs on firther in to be gripped by the HU's original clamps. This is a much better solution!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                  X