No announcement yet.

1988 325IX My $500 Stereo Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Props on the build! I hope it sounds as great as it looks!

Comment

Originally posted by greentalks43 View Post
      Props on the build! I hope it sounds as great as it looks!
      Me too. Ha:D
      88 325ix, 72 Type 1, 81 Starlet

Comment

So I've been digging more into the 4 or 5 channel thing to make sure I've got all the inputs and outputs wired on the amp right.

Actually read the amp manual front to back, looks like I don't need to do anything.
        With 4 channels of input and 4 channels + 1 channel for subwoofer on the output, I just flip the switch to 4CH mode and bob's your uncle, it will sum the 4 input channels and use that for the 5th (sub) output.

Am I crazy? here's the excerpt from the manual.

MODE
        The Power 5500 comes equipped with a 4CH/5CH MODE switch and can be
        configured for two different input modes: 4 channel or 5 channel. In 5 channel
        mode, the subwoofer channel is a sum of the RCA inputs 5CH/1 and 5CH/2.
        For head units with a mono SUBWOOFER output, you should select 5 channel
        mode and use either the 5CH/1 or 5CH/2 as the input. In 4 channel mode the
        subwoofer channel is a sum of CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4. This mode should be
        used for head units without a separate SUBWOOFER output.

Comment

I would still run it in 5 channel mode and do as I described. I would rather my sub input be a sum of 5ch/1 and 5ch/2 than a sum of all 4 channels.

My reason for this is that when you are tuning you will not be able to use any of the head units tuning capabilities (crossovers). You will have to do everything at the amplifier. This is not bad... just inconvenient and much more time consuming. I'd much rather be able to tune everything I could at the front of the car and just use the amps crossovers for fine tuning.

^That's just a personal preference though. As you said you can run it in 4 ch mode and have no problems.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

With the on again off again nice/not nice weather I spent time on another project :nice:

but this isn't about shed building, this is about raw, angry german powwa :hitler:

I started putting the dash together and put in the HU. I went the 4channel mode route and let my amp figure out the signals. I think I'll have enough flexibility with the LPF and HPF to tweak it such that I get good sound from the speakers and good bass from the sub. We'll see. I should get off my lazy butt and call that Luke guy about tuning. Enough rant, pics.

Put it in the dash, fits good

Comment

Hooked up the amp.
              Found these terminals at home depot. They're not uber cool audio deals, but those uber cool audio terminals would mean I have to cut my primary wire which I'm not keen on. Anyways, these were cheap.

I did have to enlarge the hole just a scoche.

Put some heat shrink on it just cause

Hooked er up

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                I would still run it in 5 channel mode and do as I described. I would rather my sub input be a sum of 5ch/1 and 5ch/2 than a sum of all 4 channels.

My reason for this is that when you are tuning you will not be able to use any of the head units tuning capabilities (crossovers). You will have to do everything at the amplifier. This is not bad... just inconvenient and much more time consuming. I'd much rather be able to tune everything I could at the front of the car and just use the amps crossovers for fine tuning.

^That's just a personal preference though. As you said you can run it in 4 ch mode and have no problems.

NO! Do NOT do this, you are wasting input voltage! Use the crossovers in the amp and use the 4 channel mode, the crossovers are better than the ones on the deck and you will be far better off, soundwise.

the summed function works flawlessly, but do NOT turn on the High Pass Filters in the deck.

Luke

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Originally posted by German Audio Specialties View Post
                  NO! Do NOT do this, you are wasting input voltage! Use the crossovers in the amp and use the 4 channel mode, the crossovers are better than the ones on the deck and you will be far better off, soundwise.

the summed function works flawlessly, but do NOT turn on the High Pass Filters in the deck.

Luke
                  Oh cool. I'm glad I did it the way I did then. And yes, the HPF are OFF on my amp.

Small update tonight.
                  When I first connected the radio a couple weeks ago, I noticed that the radio would not power up unless I turned on my headlights and then it wouldn't remember it's memory. Also I had over an amp quiescent current draw. Soo.. I figured I'd first do the whole check for corrosion thing, so I cleaned all my taillight bulb sockets and the rotating plug thing with electrical contact cleaner and also my diode pack plugs and the 3rd brake light connections.
                  Still had too much draw so a buddy helped me monitor a meter while I pulled fuses. 21 was the ticket.
                  I pulled the radio and inspected the wires to make sure I'd wired it correctly. While I did, I remember reading one guy say his OE wires were not to spec with the ETM. Checked mine and sure enough, gray/red was NOT illumination, it was ignition hot and red/green was illumination (on when headlights) No idea why, but hey, I'm the retard who didn't check this when I was hooking it up in the first place.
                  I corrected this and it took care of my quiescent draw issue so now I'm mostly happy. I have no idea about tuning, so I think I'll take advantage of my phone call to Luke that comes with purchase of Lukebox and give him a buzz. It does sound pretty good, but it seems to me I need to adjust the LPF ( so I get rid of some of the drone? and get it just to punch in for the beat portion of the music )

Comment

Nope, You want the HPF ON at the amp, but OFF at the deck. If you turn it on at the deck you will lose bass as it is feeding your amp, in 4 channel mode.

Another reason to always use the crossovers at the amp, is that if you lose power to the deck, you won't have to reset all the crossovers.

Comment

Originally posted by moto650 View Post
                      Let me preface this. I know nothing about car audio, I'm not an expert here at all.
                      Funny you started this thread with this sentence. Had you not said that, I would have figured you do this for a living. Seriously nice work. I've seen much worse installs done by "professionals". I bet it sounds great, great write up too :up:
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

So, I worked up a little wire diagram of how I've hooked everything up.

Comment

Okay. Not to proud to admit mistake here.
                          So I have GC Koni yellows, top adjust.
                          Before let me stress that... before you install your awesome Lukebox, drill the trunk side panels so that you can get your adjusters on and actually access your fancy shocks.
                          I absolutely forgot about this and getting the LB out was a PITA. Not just the box, but I had all my wires... bla bla. Anyways, trust me, drill first. I used a 2 1/2 hole saw running backwards, Going forward grabbed too much, backwards works just fine.
                          You start with this

Drill hole

Tada, now you can get your adjuster knob on there to adjust the shock. ;)

Yeah, I'm a dumb arse for not thinking of this before but... yeah. Do it. Heck, just do it even if you're only planning on top adjust in the future.

Comment

Damn.

If that were any nicer, I would call BS on all that "stereo install newbie" talk.

in fact...well, yeah, I believe you, but just barely.

Rock on!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

this is the best install thread I've ever come across.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                              ---------------------------------
                              89 E30 S52
                              ---------------------------------
                              Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by German Audio Specialties View Post

Luke
                                Really? Hmm... I've always used 6ch output head units so I figured that summing all of the channels for your sub output on a 4ch unit would render all head unit options unusable.

You are saying that is fine and to do all your tuning at the amp/s. I didn't realize by tuning at the head unit you are dropping your input voltage to the amps. Is that the case with using a standard front/rear/sub output setup as well? Or only in this case where you are utilizing a summed signal?

Just want to clarify for myself and others.

Sorry for the OT moto, and the bad advise apparently, we are all still learning here. Your install is looking great and I'm sure will sound great with some info from Luke on tuning.
                                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                                -----------------------------------------
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled