1988 325IX My $500 Stereo Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 325IX My $500 Stereo Install

Let me preface this. I know nothing about car audio, I'm not an expert here at all. What I'm doing in this thread is posting how I'm installing a radio, amp & subwoofer to my 1988 325IX. I go about it this way based on what I've read on the internet by . I'd like to thank all the time Luke and others have spent posting their knowledge to the community here; it helps audio dummies like me (hopefully) install a decent sounding system.
    This is a work in progress. Please, if you're knowledgeable in this area, and you see I'm doing something completely retarded here, post up.

About the car:
    1988 325IX. Craigslist. Previous owner took the stereo and speakers. It does have a fader switch in the dash.
    The speakers:
    I purchased premium sound speakers off the forums here and installed.
    The head unit:
    Originally I was going to use a Pioneer DEH44 since I've been pretty much using the "How to install a killer stereo..." thread as my audio bible. but after reading about the JVC KD-R720 here too, I decided to go that route.
    The amp:
    Jensen Power 5500 5 channel. Amazon
    The sub:
    Infinity Reference 1062W 10" DVC woofer. Amazon

Started at the front of the car. This is the mess the PO left me.

Removed the steering wheel, the bolts holding the column in place and the instrument cluster. Then cut out all the aftermarket wires that were there.

Capped off the head unit speaker wires & then connected the battery power, ignition power, dash lights fade wire, ground and capped off the fader control wires (mine was the 6 wire version)

Removed the OEM Amp. Put the diode pack back with the little bracket. Also removed my non functioning power antenna.

This is the plug for the amp. What I'm going to splice extension wires into in order to connect to the amp.

Next up I cut 4 pairs of 1 blue and 1 gray wires about 3' long each and labeled them. These are to splice onto the wires that were plugged into the OEM amp and are now going to be connected to the new more better amp.

Then it was time to take a break. So I did. Mmmm

Next up was the trunk tar. I'd really been not wanting to do this after hearing all the bad stories. I used a couple of flat pry bars and it came up in mostly large pieces. :nice: Holy cr** though, (yeah I'd read it) but dang this stuff is heavy. I weighed it with a fish scale, 60 lbs.

With that out, I began routing RCA cables. I started at the front. I know the bible says to start in the rear, but I thought it'd be easier to hide extra wire near the rear of the car, so that's what I did.
    I removed the door sill thing and the seats and loosened the top bolt and removed the bottom bolt on the lower seat belt slider thing.

This is along the sill, I went under these wires.

Cut out the oval blanks (two, one for each RCA).

Zip tied in a few places, kept them not too tight per suggestions in other threads.

Then I made a ground connection. I sanded down to bare metal then used a 1/4" SS sheet metal screw to attach my cable with. For the cable I used 4ga with a solder on solid copper battery lug.

Installed the fuse holder.

Then ran them both in the OEM loom toward the front of the car.

Poked the power and ground cables out of the trunk liner about 10" rear of the firewall per directions in the bible. Hung my RCA and my amp extension wires for the speakers over the top of the other side trunk liner.

Next up the ski pass through hole. I just whacked it with a hammer and it came right out. Then I cut a little bit out of the bottom of it like Luke suggests with a tin snip and filed off the edges so I wouldn't cut myself later.

Lastly I tiddy'd up the wires in the dash. A keen eye will note 3 pairs of RCA. I had the RCA cables so I ran an extra pair in case I upgrade my deck in the future to one that has a dedicated sub output. For this install though, I will only be using 2 pair.

Luke, if you read this far, I need to hit you up for a box. Admittedly when I started I was going to make my own, but dang, this is taking too long and I'm too picky to spend all this time on this then bugger up a box. I hear you make something decent... ;)

To be continued:
    88 325ix, 72 Type 1, 81 Starlet

I see...much excellence in your work!

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Wow, looks great. Motivating me to get of my duff and get mine installed.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement.
        While I wait for more parts, the dirty carpet was mocking me. So out it came. I cheated a little and cut the 1" wide strip that connect over the hump under the heater core.

Ordered my LukeBox today. I'm excited :p

Comment

This tonight, so I can use phone/music/maps conveniently. Other end plugged into the rear USB on the deck.

I'm not sure I'm quite happy with it yet. Might still try to do something else. It's hard because you can't glue the port to the back side and make it built into the pillar cover because the cover pulls out at the top, then slides down to engage a money clip type thing. Any body else done this that I can rip ideas from?

Comment

Nice I would put the USB port near the Window Buttons in the ceter console or used one of the blank switches in the dash for the USB

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
            I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
            "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

Originally posted by moto650 View Post
              This tonight, so I can use phone/music/maps conveniently. Other end plugged into the rear USB on the deck.
              [lMG]http://twoasianchicksandatrucker.com/img/e30/usbPluggedIn.jpg[/IMG]
              I'm not sure I'm quite happy with it yet. Might still try to do something else. It's hard because you can't glue the port to the back side and make it built into the pillar cover because the cover pulls out at the top, then slides down to engage a money clip type thing. Any body else done this that I can rip ideas from?

Best spot IMO is the underside of the HVAC center stack, it's out of the way, doesn't interfere with the looks of the e30 and tucks away nicely when a short or long wire is run, I'd show you pics but you obviously can't see it

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Yes both places suggested for a port are good however since I plan to have the phone on the dash over by the A pillar these places would result in wires running over the dash which I despise. :hitler:

Comment

Originally posted by moto650 View Post
                  Yes both places suggested for a port are good however since I plan to have the phone on the dash over by the A pillar these places would result in wires running over the dash which I despise. :hitler:
                  you could always run wire behind the kickpad, it's a great spot to run wire, which will allow you to come up the A piller

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Yes, my wire does run up the A pillar, right next to one of the sunroof drain tubes. ;)
                    I gave the port a make over as I didn't like it not being completely flush.

... passing the time till my box, amp and sub get here....

Comment

Had to disapear for a week

When I got back

I decided to make a shadow box. Mostly so I can keep my wires looking clean. Maybe I'll put a window in my beauty board one day with some ricer LEDs
                      Pieces cut. Dang I forgot what a mess MDF dust is

I used felt to cover it with. I would like to have used vinyl but I'm broke and I already had the felt. Meh, looks ok

Got some cool little hole plugs from ACE for the wire pass through.

Fastened the amp in place

Made up my wires for the sub and installed in the box. I used permatex ultra gray because that's what I had lying around to seal the hole. Per directions, voice coils wires in parallel. I used 12ga wire for the sub.. I didn't do the math but shooting from the hip seems like it'll be thick enough.

Then I started running the wires into the box, and trying to get everything situated.

:razz:

Comment

Love the shadowbox idea.... you could add "wings" that conform to the side panels too...
                        Valley Motorwerks
                        1988 E30M3

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by valleymotorwerks View Post
                          Love the shadowbox idea.... you could add "wings" that conform to the side panels too...
                          Thanks, not my idea though. I totally ripped it from Luke
                          Like this

Comment

Wow this looks great dude!
                            REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

The subwoofer has a remote volume I think that's the right term, whatever. Anyways, I couldn't come up with a clean place to install it without it looking like .. well an after thought clooge, So I popped it open to see if I could make it smaller and install it behind one of the unused dash block offs. Sure enough, it's just a POT with an RJ11 wired to the back. I drilled one of my blank off plates then trimmed down the existing hosing for the subwoofer level control and used JB weld to glue it to the back of the blank off plate.

That's all.

Comment

Working...
                              X