Need some advice for audio overhall 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice for audio overhall 325i

Hey guys, so I really want to redo the audio on my 325i vert as the speakers are kind of dead and I think there is a poor connection with the antenna. I really hate the radio so I don't even think I'll bother fixing the antenna but I want to swap out the speakers/ tweeters and head unit. I am pretty mechanically inclined but have NEVER done any audio work. I want to go out and buy speakers and pretty much everything I would need to redo the overhall. Aside from the head unit, I am wondering what size speakers I need for the front and back, and recommendations? Also any installation advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Stock speakers are 4 1/4" but there's enough room for 5 1/4"s...even in the back of the convertible if you find a speaker with a smaller magnet. I still run the stock mids and tweeters up front too but the rears were blown so I needed to change them. I went with some Alpine 2 ways that just barely fit. If you change the head unit you will need to bypass the factory amp in the trunk. Don't be intimidated, it's not so bad.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Stock speakers are 4 1/4" but there's enough room for 5 1/4"s...even in the back of the convertible if you find a speaker with a smaller magnet. I still run the stock mids and tweeters up front too but the rears were blown so I needed to change them. I went with some Alpine 2 ways that just barely fit. If you change the head unit you will need to bypass the factory amp in the trunk. Don't be intimidated, it's not so bad.
      So i could go with 4, 5 1/4 speakers? Also how do I bypass the factory amp :x this is all pretty new to me haha.

Comment

Follow the link in my sig.

Bypassing the stock amp make a pretty decent improvement in sound quality.

Verts are tough to get good sound in, don't have huge expectations, you will only be disappointed.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          If you change the head unit you will need to bypass the factory amp in the trunk
          Is this fo sho (for sure)?
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            Is this fo sho (for sure)?
            No, you can "integrate" the stock amp, in fact that makes a much easier install..but performance is way worse, generally.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
            X