X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by m5james View Post

Ignore these guys with mostly base model 318's and 325's trying to preserve their $3k cars as if they're $30,000 M3's lol. Do whatever makes YOU happy. Go back a few pages and see the "non-spiritual" modern tech stereo that I installed in my GF's car that works great for daily use vs the those who wish to stay stuck in the 80's for strangers at occasional car shows. I walked around E30 Picnic, arguably the largest E30 meet in the world, and I didn't once think "OMG, look at their pristine tape deck" lol. Unless it's an trailer/garage queen and/or an M3, who cares!
    Hmm not sure I agree with you on that one due to the title of the thread, this head unit does not at all suit the E30 interior, and that is the ask in this thread.

You can make another thread, best Modern Feature head unit for an E30 and this would fit.

BTW not sure if you have seen prices lately but a $3000 E30 is a shit box.

Leave a comment:

• quasi mofo
    replied

Ignore these guys with mostly base model 318's and 325's trying to preserve their $3k cars as if they're $30,000 M3's lol. Do whatever makes YOU happy. Go back a few pages and see the "non-spiritual" modern tech stereo that I installed in my GF's car that works great for daily use vs the those who wish to stay stuck in the 80's for strangers at occasional car shows. I walked around E30 Picnic, arguably the largest E30 meet in the world, and I didn't once think "OMG, look at their pristine tape deck" lol. Unless it's an trailer/garage queen and/or an M3, who cares!
    Appreciate it. I don't want to make anyone angry. I'm new to E30's (despite having wanted to own one for 20+years). One of my favorite things about this car community vs others I've been part of is that everyone is pretty nice and accommodating of different ideas about the cars.

Leave a comment:

• quasi mofo
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    That's pretty much the opposite of what this thread is about.
    Sorry about that. I didn't want to start a new thread because I figured the folks who know about ICE installs for E30's would be here.

Leave a comment:

• m5james
    replied
    Suits the interior and looks bone stock are two different things...seems the title needs to be changed.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    I mean, you can choose to be purposely obtuse. I think there are some rather obvious implications on what was meant by "suit the interior" of a car from the late 80s. Why don't you make your own thread for people who want a cool high tech headunit?

Leave a comment:

• m5james
    replied
    Suits the interior...based on who's opinion? Yours, mine...who's to say my opinion is wrong? I've made my argument as to why mine suits the interior since outta modern but sits nicely centered on the dash, all while solving the issue of a failed OBC that's all but useless for anything more than a clock.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied

Did you even read the title of this thread?

Leave a comment:

• m5james
    replied
    Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    Replacement headunit options that suit the E30 interior

Looks sweet. How laggy is it? I’ve always had a bad experience with android tablets, they seem to lag and freeze up quite a bit especially in summer when the sun is heating the car/dash
    Sorry, I missed your reply. Zero boot up time, it basically goes to sleep when you shut the car off. It's not laggy but I also treat it like a stereo and not a phone by keeping it minimalist. Install Waze, YouTube, maybe Netflix or some other video player and that's it. I turn on my hotspot for Waze, Bluetooth for music and then I stream music from my phone's music player of choice. Lunch time and/or kids in the car is when it plays video, otherwise it spends most of its life showing Waze.

Leave a comment:

• m5james
    replied
    Originally posted by quasi mofo View Post
    Has anyone tried some of the new Single DIN mechless display headunits like the Sony XAV-AX7000 or the Alpine Halo 9? They're not period correct at all, but having Apple CarPlay/Android Auto would be pretty cool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	71rCGwXEP4L._SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	9881277

Leave a comment:

• m5james
    replied
    Originally posted by quasi mofo View Post

I like this option, but I can't seem to find any documentation as to whether this supports Apple CarPlay or if it just mirrors the iPhone screen. Does it support CarPlay?
    I'm not an iPhone guy so I couldn't tell ya. I don't see the the fascination with CarPlay anyways...I chose the music player on my phone, Bluetooth the music over, fire up my hotspot to use Waze on the stereo itself, then the stereo controls the Bluetooth for skipping tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Mark89
    replied
    How does Blaupunkt compare to the clarion m508 spec wise? Which is better?

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    That's pretty much the opposite of what this thread is about.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyP
    replied
    LOL, not sure that fits the spirit of this thread

Leave a comment:

• quasi mofo
    replied
    Has anyone tried some of the new Single DIN mechless display headunits like the Sony XAV-AX7000 or the Alpine Halo 9? They're not period correct at all, but having Apple CarPlay/Android Auto would be pretty cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71rCGwXEP4L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1969
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	9881277

Leave a comment:

• Albie325
    replied
    I know it's been shown before, but the Continental headunit with the updated LED's by earthwormjim is awesome, couldn't be happier with it. I finally had a chance to take some pics of it at night to compare it to the remainder of the OEM backlights, it matches perfectly:

Looks a little bright in this pic, it's not as bad in real life:

This pic shows how it blends in a little better in terms of brightness/color:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X