gauge cluster acting strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gauge cluster acting strange

When I start the car, the tach sweeps to 7000 rpms and stays there until the car warms up then it'll bounce around a bit, then falls to zero and stays there acting as if it doesn't work at all.
    The speedo and fuel gauges don't work at all.
    The temp gauge seems to work fine.
    Any ideas on what's causing these cluster problems?
    Here are a couple pictures. The first shows the tach at start up

This is after the car is warm

Pull it out and check the tach and main pcb for shorts and breaks. How are the si board batteries? Looks like an 84 318I cluster.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You most likely have leaky batteries that has caused the logic to get all wonky. You'll most likely need to replace the cluster and if your lucky, only the SI board.

Also try changing fuse 10, 12, and 21 and some of your gauges might work again.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks for your input, guys.
        I changed out the fuses first and still nothing. So I decided to tear into the cluster. Here are some pictures. Overall, I believe the board looks good (to my untrained eyes of course).

I'm assuming the 94-07 is the expected life on the batteries? So they're most likely dead.

I then found it was a motometer board in a vdo cluster (not sure if it really matter)

Comment

Well you have a modern SI board in an early style cluster so that is great. You probably just need to replace the SI board batteries.

We have these boards in stock, ready to ship. Just pay for the core price and it will get refunded when you return your original SI board.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
          X