Humming noise from speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humming noise from speakers.

I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I took my E30 318i to go get a Kienzle MCR-1016 BT installed, the guys at the shop told me that they did all of the wiring, but that I have a bad radio, because its brand new and I've not seen any reviews where this has happened, but the guys that installed it said there is no output. I honestly highly doubt its the radio, because days before I took it in my friend and I tried to install it ourselves we put the negatives together and I forgot what we connected them to, but a little sound came out, and after that we couldn't figure it out. Now, after I took the radio to get installed and I turn the radio on all I hear is a humming noise like if the speakers are on, but no actual music comes out. I hope you guys can help me figure this out, because its driving me crazy.

Sounds like it might be the radio. You may have damaged the radio with by connecting both the negatives? Swap in another radio ... grab one from Craigslist, etc .. for cheap as your test unit if you cannot buy one.

Then check out the stickies in this section .... lots of good info there.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

That is a neat looking radio!

radios are really easy to install. I doubt the shop did anything to mess it up. I would look into doing it yourself next time because all you have to do is match up wire colors. It's really easy.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Does it have an amp with RCAs? If you plugged in your RCAs while on you can burn some little resistor that grounds the RCAs out... You've gotta ground the ends of the RCA separately then, I forgot where but somewhere I have a pic of mine with a wire tying them all together and grounding them out
        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
        Originally posted by roguetoaster
        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

you tried to wire it (not knowing what you were doing) and it did then didn't work?
          definitely a possibility you broke something.

Comment

Broke a ground internal to the hu
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
            X