Automated windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated windows

This isn't a write up but more of a review/discussion because I think it's a very worthwhile mod to have and one of my favorite features on my E39. One thing I hate about my vert is having to roll 4 windows up/down when dropping or putting up the top. This means getting inside completely to lower the windows just enough to get the top down. Time to solve that problem. In looking at window modules, I've found that few of them do it all until I read about Directed's 535T.

I just finished installing two Directed 535T's $50 each shipped in my vert. They each control 2 windows UP & DOWN while adding one touch to the switches and programmable venting. The installation was tedious with 2 modules just barely fitting under the center console. You'll need to cut the window wires to install the units in between the switch and the motors. Also several grounds and aux wiring totaling about 30 connections total. It's not for the faint of heart. It took me essentially a day to get them installed together and fitted. Professional installation is highly recommended but I've read installers charge upwards of $300 for labor.

Another thing I could have done was pick up two ScyTek WR-8-4 ( SMART4 )$35 each shipped. Each module controls 2 windows UP & DOWN with temp venting. Unfortunately, there's no one touch feature. I could have just wired in a switch to the Ground When Armed wire to have all 4 windows roll up but to me the most important feature is the auto up/down with the alarm remote which is essentially the same thing if you think about it and you don't have to add another switch or more wiring.

One touch is a nice feature though and worth the $30 difference for 4 windows.

Which brings us to the Autoloc units. Each unit has one touch up/down and works with alarms but only does one window so you'd need to buy 4 modules and at $40 each (often advertised for more) that makes these more expensive than the Directed 535T's. They really should have a two window module at a more competitive price but I don't know if they do.

The other 535T (not pictured) fits right next to it on the left. Both units barely fit under the center console. Grounds are very short. Power runs straight to the battery (engine compartment) although I may need to upgrade the size of the wire.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

on my to do list now.
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Comment

I can't wait to get my 1 touch installed!
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Everything is working as it should (phew). All windows roll up with the alarm or I can opt to leave them down and arm. I can also disarm and roll the windows down with the remote eliminating the need to get inside the car, turn the key on and press each window switch then get back out to drop the top. 1 touch is a must have these days. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, installation was a bitch but if you don't mind cutting into your wiring and can DIY you'll be golden. If you have to pay someone, make sure the total cost makes sense.
        Last edited by reelizmpro; 06-21-2016, 12:00 PM.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
        X