Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 Button On Board Computer SCREEN repair ideas?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I put leds in mine a long time ago, still works great, and was pretty easy too. I also messed around doing it in a window switch - cheap Christmas lights are a good source, but actually out of like 15 window switches I have, not one of them has a burned out bulb.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by whaudio View Post

I know this is almost a year after this thread ended, but I think I can add some useful information for repairing 13 button OBC units. I confirmed today that the LCD screen available from Partsworks(germany) works with the BLACK housing OBC units. I pulled the OBC from my 92 325i convertible and discovered it is a WHITE housing version. I also had two black housing versions in my parts stock pile so I took both versions apart. The Black housing versions were made in Germany by VDO. The white version was made in the US by Lectron Products. They are very different internally. The VDO (black) versions have several stacked pcbs (as you can see in the earlier pictures posted). The Lectron (white) version has fewer boards. The Lectron also does not have removable ribbon cables.

The biggest issue though is the LCD. The Lectron (white) version LCD is soldered down with metal connectors. The VDO (black) uses a ribbon cable and the conductive foam "zebra" strips. The screen I received from parts works will NOT work with the Lectron (white) version.

I put the new screen into one of my spare VDO units and it works perfectly! If you have a VDO black unit, it really isn't that difficult to repair. Here is a link to the new LCD screen:

https://partworks.de/en-gearworks-de...puter-bc2.html

I hope this info helps anyone contemplating an 13 button OBC repair. I have more pictures and would be happy to post the ones most relevant to swapping LCD screens in the VDO version. In addition, I have messed around with using LEDs for the light bar.
      I just wanted to thank you for posting this info. Spot on and very helpful to many folks I am sure.
      I was looking at Ebay and saw the $21 screens from China and thought twice.
      This looks worth the extra money.
      What was the USD total with shipping ?
      Thanks
      Paul

Comment

Working...
      X