Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 "era correct" stereo recommendations needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
    TRUTH. Back when I designed a full audio system for my car, the first thing I did was apply Damplifier to the entire interior + 3mm closed cell foam sheeting. The biggest improvement came from doing the doors. Anyway, in a general sense, the signal-to-noise ratio is what you want to optimize. Most people just go for a big amplifier to increase the signal term, but you get a lot mroe bang for your buck by attacking the noise term. Nerd warning: As far as head units' sound quality, trust me, they are all effectively the same in the last ~20 years. They all use the same or similar 4 channel amplifier ICs, with a maximum output voltage swing of Vbattery (less really, since none of the power stages can swing to the input rail). Here's how to interpret the "50Wx4" thing on all of these radios. Most cars have a ~14.2V supply while running. Power = Voltage^2 / Resistance. Most car speakers are 4 Ohms. P = (14.2 * 14.2) / 4 = 50W. That is DC power, which has zero to do with acoustic output. In reality, with a 14.2V input, most of these amp ICs can really only swing about 12V before they start distorting badly, which brings that DC power figure down to ~36W. However, when dealing with audio, you end up needing to use RMS ("AC") voltage to get RMS power, so you divide by sqrt(2). 12V / (sqrt(2) = 8.5V RMS. That makes for a max RMS output power 18W before distortion goes through the roof. If you have ever noticed that the sound is pretty clear up until you hit about ~85% of max volume, that is why. Above that level, the amp IC's output voltage swing gets large enough to start clipping which sends distortion through the roof. This is why basically ANY external amplifier always sounds better & "gets louder". They (almost) all have DC-DC converters that step the 14.2V input up to a higher voltage, and that is why they can deliver more power. Most of those that claim 50Wx4 actually mean 50W RMS, whereas head units literally mean 50W DC.
    Appreciate some actual tech analysis of why things operate the way they do. Agree sound deadening material can really help in driving down the background noise, especially in an old car. Also set your expectations accordingly. There are small things that can help immensely, ie changing blown paper speakers, but there are diminishing returns like always. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
    84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Used my new skills to make a cheap temp gauge!

Converted a cheap eBay temp sensor to proper colors.

Now I need to figure out how to 3d print mount it in the expansion slots.

Comment

Ha, nice. With a little matte black paint it will blend right in. The LCD even looks totally era-correct too!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by theanchored View Post
          Mount is complete. I used Rustoleum texture spay paint. not a perfect match but its 90% there. It's really tempting to spray the radio sans buttons but I don't think I will.

I am going to try to get my hands on an e30 panel to design a mount for you guys. Fortunately it should be able to easily screw into the top screw mounts for the face plate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ox33kU0.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	9951929
          Did you ever make a mount for the E30? I can send you one to make for me and a few extra if you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by E30m52b28 View Post

Did you ever make a mount for the E30? I can send you one to make for me and a few extra if you would like.
            That looks really good!
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Never got my hands on the e30 part to make one.

I ran into a couple issues with mine which made it way harder than I thought it would be to install. I did not really account for how far back the radio stuck and how that space was crucial to removing the space in the first place (on the e24)
              In the end I was able to remove the Short shifter adjustment shaft which gave me just enough space to clear it and install it. After all that work and installing it I had plugged in the radio wrong. so I did the whole process twice.

Its definitely not the best way to mount the radio but I did achieve a better than factory fit and it looks good.

(if I can get my hands on an e30 part I would be willing to try, but it needs to have enough clearance for the install to work. )

Wish I had a better polarizer that did not make the screen blue when off

Click image for larger version  Name:	TQ6jEgi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	9967796
              Last edited by theanchored; 01-05-2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

So I picked up at Continental and got as far as nearly removing the board from the face plate but... I cant get pass the knob lol good start... From the pics it looks like it just pulls off? I definitely have pulled on it feeling like I was going to break it.

Comment

Originally posted by theanchored View Post
                  Never got my hands on the e30 part to make one.

I ran into a couple issues with mine which made it way harder than I thought it would be to install. I did not really account for how far back the radio stuck and how that space was crucial to removing the space in the first place (on the e24)
                  In the end I was able to remove the Short shifter adjustment shaft which gave me just enough space to clear it and install it. After all that work and installing it I had plugged in the radio wrong. so I did the whole process twice.

Its definitely not the best way to mount the radio but I did achieve a better than factory fit and it looks good.

(if I can get my hands on an e30 part I would be willing to try, but it needs to have enough clearance for the install to work. )

Wish I had a better polarizer that did not make the screen blue when off

Click image for larger version Name:	TQ6jEgi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	9967796
                  That came out really nice. That would be a great option for people.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Ape View Post
                    So I picked up at Continental and got as far as nearly removing the board from the face plate but... I cant get pass the knob lol good start... From the pics it looks like it just pulls off? I definitely have pulled on it feeling like I was going to break it.
                    I'd also love to know how to take the knob off for a quick respray in matte black. Thinking that while the Blaupunkt Bremen is awfully nice, it's also hard to justify the extra $340 for it, but before I purchase this Continental, I'd love to know how to do this quick thing. Thanks!

Comment

The knob pulls off with some decent force. and then the chrome ring un screws making for super easy painting.

Comment

Sorry to revive this after a few months, but is earthwormjim or anyone selling these customized? I don’t exactly have the electronics prowess for this kind of thing, especially to tamper with a new unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                          Hey Guys,

So I've recently sold my SV650s with intentions of getting collector plates on the e30. I'm mostly confident it'll pass, with the exception of the stereo head unit. The car was completely re-wired by the PO when he had some gaudy chrome colored stereo added in the late 90's so there's almost no way I can go back to the stock BMW deck without tearing the car apart and re-wiring it to the parallel system BMW used.

Since then I've changed the head unit to a newer Sony one that doesn't look as bad (sometime around 2010). Problem is, I'm not sure it'll pass the regulations for antique plates in my province. According to the regulations, they allow:
                          "-an era correct aftermarket radio/CD player (model year vehicles 1987 and newer may have era correct CD players)
                          - upgrade your radio and speakers with modern functionality as long as they are visually indistinguishable from the radio and speaker system originally installed".

I know there's a few Continental decks that's close, but from a google search of what they look like in an e30, doesn't make me too confident. I'd prefer something with an AUX jack and/or USB so I can at least play MP3's (yeah I know, I'm old school like that lol). I've considered hittin up ebay, but not sure I wanna go used, unless it's NOS (new old stock).

thanks in advance
                          To fit your registration/inspection issues, you can now buy amplifiers/DSP units with blutooth built in, so you connect directly from your phone to the amp and bypass the head unit all together. That way you can keep the stock deck looking 80's fresh but have modern sound powering the speakers hidden somewhere else in the car.
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by duvany View Post
                            Sorry to revive this after a few months, but is earthwormjim or anyone selling these customized? I don’t exactly have the electronics prowess for this kind of thing, especially to tamper with a new unit.
                            I still have some polarizing filters and LEDs left, so I could modify a radio for you. Just PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post

I still have some polarizing filters and LEDs left, so I could modify a radio for you. Just PM me.
                              Do you have a parts list with the number of each LED and resistors used? I am looking to do this modification but would like to order the right amount of components before I take my radio apart. Thanks!

Comment

Have any new units hit the market since the original post?

Comment

Working...
                                X