analog clock install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackhawkimpact View Post
    You can use whatever you want, even electric tape. ;)

It just won't be a clean, professional look, and can be explosive to your car.
    :eeek:waaahhhhh!
    sigpic
    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
      Could one of these be used instead of butt connectors? Just seems if I ever wanted to go back to original it would be much easier.

Is this the correct way to get to the clock so I can install it?
      http://home.comcast.net/~cdeegan9/da...shboard_4.html
      Those scotch locks (blue thing you linked to) will work fine, and can even be recommended over butt connectors (see post #40 of this thread).

When I did it, I didn't remove my radio. I removed the right side panel where the glove box is, but I think you don't even need to do that. You just need to pry off the old clock's face, then push down the two plastic things (see pic) and slide the clock out.

1990 BMW 325i Coupe

Comment

Thanks so much kumulonimbus, I was ready to take my whole god damn hvac apart to get to it. I purchased the scotch locks and had it installed within 5 minutes.
        sigpic
        FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Ok, I just did this in my 91 318is and it looks great. Clock works great. problem is my tach is now not working!!! I followed the instructions to the letter. I had read that other people had this issue in the past. I have searched and I can't find the fix???

Help!
          sigpic

Comment

anybody????
            sigpic

Comment

im pretty sure your si batteries are now toast. it happened to me too when i first installed the clock but new si board fixed it
              harry/harout

Comment

Tach signal can be verified by probing the blue connector's black wire, pin 7 while the engine is running. Measure AC volts with a digital multi-meter. It should read 1.5-6V AC.

If tach signal is verified (from the ECM) then the problem most likely lies with dead SI board batteries. If batteries have been recently replaced, I would assume bad/cracked solder joints on the cluster main board, then bad tach motor assembly.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I have a brand new si board batteries and everything worked perfect until I installed the stupid clock. I followed the instructions on this thread exactly. I wonder if I disconnect the clock if my tach will start to work again?
                  sigpic

Comment

You probably made a short when installing the clock and your cluster board is toast. Exactly what happen to mine. IDK how it happen but after I installed the removed the OBC my tach stopped working and it was the board that was burnt

Comment

Back from the dead. Over a year!

Planning to do this to my 318is. Already have the clock and connector I will just be needing to splice! I am having second thoughts on doing this given that the SI batteries give out after installing this.

Comment

Comment

Help MEEE!

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
                            Help MEEE!
                            Just do it. I did the install over 2 years ago with no SI battery issues.

Comment

Originally posted by salvuhdor View Post
                              Back from the dead. Over a year!

Planning to do this to my 318is. Already have the clock and connector I will just be needing to splice! I am having second thoughts on doing this given that the SI batteries give out after installing this.
                              First I have heard of this. Did this in both my cars with no adverse effects. Just don't short anything out and make sure you are connecting everything correctly. Check twice, splice once.
                              sigpic
                              FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

So do you just cut 4 wires from the green connector that goes in the 6 button OBC and leave the rest of the wires connected to the green connector for ease of re installing the 6 button? Also is there a adapter from 6 button female to a female analog connection? I hate splicing stock wires, like really hate it

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                                1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                                1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                                1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                                1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                                1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                                Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                                1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                                1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                                X