E30 M3 DME Failure Common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M3 DME Failure Common?

So I figured my DME (ECU) wasnt taking the coil drive/final stage fully to ground. It would go to 12v and tickle it down to 7-8V so there was no spark output.

I was looking threw the Technical Service Bulletins for the car and nothing came up, I did although find one that said: "When a DME's final stage fails it might overheat the coil and a replacement is required." That lead me to believe that it might be common if they're stating it. Knowing that will better justify my spending on the DME unit.

Anyone know if its a common failure?

Somewhat. I'd say more common than a 325. Mainly transistors that overheat and fry up on the ICV circuit and the others just plain fry up or have water damage. Try another DME to troubleshoot.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Well I tried it and it works, I actually sent mine out to get fixed and it worked but failed again after about a month. They said they just fixed some loose ground soulders.

Im hoping its just the DME and not something bringing it down, I check all electrical components and all the ones I could get to are in spec.

Comment

Working...
      X