Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
    Is the sub a DVC?
    whats a DVC sorry im not big on abbreviations.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
      Is the sub a DVC?
      whats a DVC sorry im not big on abbreviations.
      Dual Voice Coil
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

If you do have a DVC, and it has Dual 4-ohm voice coils, you're in a bit of a pickle. If you run the VCs in parallel, you'll be down to a 2-ohm load for the woofer itself. Then if you bridge your amp to that 2-ohm subwoofer, you'll be at 1ohm (which most run-of-the-mill amps aren't equipped to handle safely).
        On the other hand, if you wire the voice coils in series, you'll be at an 8-ohm load. Then if you bridge your amp to an 8-ohm subwoofer, you'll be down to 4-ohms.

Idealy you'd want to be running a 2-ohm load on your amp to get maximum wattage out of it (without blowing it up).

Whatever you do, DO NOT run the voice-coils to separate chanels (stereo signal).

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          Originally posted by NC325iC
          actually im impressed with it it holds up well
          The giant shit I took today held up well to being flushed.

Didn't make it worth saving any more then that amp tho.
          My pioneer amp is super super old but works rock solid, never overheats, never shuts down.

It was before the grey recalled ones. Mine is white and I call it the fridge.

There not as bad as you say. Mine has no problems pushing my w3v2.

Could be Jenesen, Pyramid, or Rockwood.

Sold it.

Comment

My box is situated like yours Mike, I needed a part for my stereo and went to a local shop, they said I should let them build a custom box with the drivers vertical because that would sound better. It sounds great as it is but I have seen his boxes and they are great. He will cover it in carpet that exactly matches my trunk & it's only 500 pesos (42.00 at current exchange) what do you guys think?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I don't care for bandpass boxes, they're too boomy... They sound ok at low volume in a hatchback but I think a sealed box is better for our cars.

M

Comment

If you do have a DVC, and it has Dual 4-ohm voice coils, you're in a bit of a pickle. If you run the VCs in parallel, you'll be down to a 2-ohm load for the woofer itself. Then if you bridge your amp to that 2-ohm subwoofer, you'll be at 1ohm (which most run-of-the-mill amps aren't equipped to handle safely).
                On the other hand, if you wire the voice coils in series, you'll be at an 8-ohm load. Then if you bridge your amp to an 8-ohm subwoofer, you'll be down to 4-ohms.

Idealy you'd want to be running a 2-ohm load on your amp to get maximum wattage out of it (without blowing it up).

Whatever you do, DO NOT run the voice-coils to separate chanels (stereo signal).
                it is DVC they are dual 2ohm so i have them wired to 4 ohm which matches the bridged amp
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Since you're running a 2 ohm load on your amp it's probably over-heating. Get a cross-flow fan and wire it into the remote cable on your amp. Then it'll turn on every time your stereo is on.

Comment

It sounds fine but I think I could get more trunk space & he swears it will sound better, the drivers are Orion MTX3's running on a kenwood 600w amp bridged in mono.

Is there a benefit to having the drivers vertical? thats his big point (and why I would get more trunk room back)

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

The direction of them (horizontal vs vertical) shouldn't matter much; bass is omni-drectional. Also, I'd put them in a small sealed enclosure or a ported one (which will sound a bit better). Ditch the bandpass.

Comment

The bandpass is a carryover from my 300ZX and sounds much better than the truck boxes I had in there originally (from My Tundra) Ok I will let him make a sealed box for it. Thanks!

Comment

ive got a mtx mono with a sony 12, im almost positive im running it at 4 ohms, now if i got another sub and just wired it together would that make it run at 2 ohms? which would get more power but not as quality? im not too good with car wiring really, just houses and stuff.

Comment

You can think of speakers as resistors. If you have two of them in parallel, you'll have more current flow. The quality will not lessen.

Comment

Since you're running a 2 ohm load on your amp it's probably over-heating. Get a cross-flow fan and wire it into the remote cable on your amp. Then it'll turn on every time your stereo is on.
                              dude seriously i said i fixed it
                              its wired so the load is 4 ohms which matches my amp
                              it doesnt overheat anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X