Code function activated, but car still starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code function activated, but car still starts

Hello, I just discovered the ingition lockout code feature on my 86 325e. I can enter a code and turn the key off, and when I flip the ignition to the first position it asks for a code. If I don't enter anything or enter the wrong code, it still starts. Any ideas?

In the 1986 engine harness by the ECU connector (above the glove box), there's a 3 wire plug with a green wire on it. That wire is the actually the positive for the ignition coil and gets broken by the OBC if present. If someone along the years either bypassed that wire, or installed the 13 button OBC when the car didn't orinally cone with it, then the car will start.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I see a 3 wire connector with a green/red wire, and on the other side of the connector there are 2 green wires, one bigger than the other. Everything looks hooked up except I see a yellow wire coming out of the harness by the obc with nothing connected to it.

Comment

The 3 wire plug should be connected to the OBC relay box mounted to the firewall under the steering column. Check this first. Some people will bypass the OBC relay when it goes bad by shorting pins on the connector.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          In the 1986 engine harness by the ECU connector (above the glove box), there's a 3 wire plug with a green wire on it. That wire is the actually the positive for the ignition coil and gets broken by the OBC if present. If someone along the years either bypassed that wire, or installed the 13 button OBC when the car didn't orinally cone with it, then the car will start.
          I actually have a 1986 325, it originally came with a 6button and I swapped in a 13button using the 13button harness and the the relay code box... I was sure I installed the way it should go in an original 13button car, when I use the code feature sometimes it still starts and sometimes it actually works and the car cranks but doesn’t start until the correct code is entered, I’ve swapped relay code boxes with another to make sure that part was not faulty but I still have the same results, any advice? Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X