Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Gas Gauge needle all the way down

Hi All-

So I recently removed my cluster to fix the odometer gears. I put everything back only to find out my gas gauge needle now is all the way down when the car is off. It wasn't like that previously. It used to be at the "R" when it was off. But when it's on it goes to the halfway mark. I've driven about 70 miles and it's still stuck at the half way mark. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by columbo_01; 10-10-2019, 06:50 AM.

You physically moved the needle into the wrong position. The needle is not supposed to be dropped that low. There is no way for this to happen except for you to physically move the needle yourself or by accident. Just move it back into the R position.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
      You physically moved the needle into the wrong position. The needle is not supposed to be dropped that low. There is no way for this to happen except for you to physically move the needle yourself or by accident. Just move it back into the R position.
      Hi Gregs, While doing the repair to my cluster I was very careful not to touch anything that didn’t need to be repaired. Is it possible the needle can move without me touching it? Can it just get out of alignment like that?

Comment

No its not possible. The motor has two hard stops, at the lowest setting and at the highest setting. In order to move the needle past its lower hard stop, the needle will need to spin on the motor shaft. This can also happen by installing the front housing on incorrectly, we see it all the time. The front housing should be placed back into the other half by pressing it directly flat against the electronics half. Coming in at an angle can catch the needle and move or damage them.
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
          No its not possible. The motor has two hard stops, at the lowest setting and at the highest setting. In order to move the needle past its lower hard stop, the needle will need to spin on the motor shaft. This can also happen by installing the front housing on incorrectly, we see it all the time. The front housing should be placed back into the other half by pressing it directly flat against the electronics half. Coming in at an angle can catch the needle and move or damage them.
          Thank you Gregs! I'll try this method this weekend. Also how will I know when the needle is at its lowest setting? In other words, whats the best way to possibly align the needle back to where it should be.

Comment

Just reference the original needle position based off a picture of another cluster.
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
            X