Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covnertible rear seat compact sub... Is this a dumb idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covnertible rear seat compact sub... Is this a dumb idea?

So I've been reading around about and also been told by Luke (love how straight forward he is), that good sound in a 'vert is next to impossible unless you start hacking away at the rear bulkhead. I'm not down for cutting metal. However, I am down for cutting foam...

Has anyone ever tried putting a compact "under-seat" subwoofer in a cavity in the center (so where no one would ever sit) of the rear seats?

I removed my rear seats and the completely pointless rear window blower. The blower mounts could be repurposed for a fabricated mounting plate for something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZUGomX...-KSC-SW11.html

All I'd then need to do is create the cavity in the foam. I've marked out the size of the KSC-SW11 and it doesn't seem to be a bad fit...

(I plan to use an amp, as well)

Questions for the smarter people in the room:

1. Would this sub be completely useless behind an inch or so of foam (and leather)
    2. Has anyone tried anything similar?
    3. Does anyone see issues with this mounting, etc...?

Thanks!

I have a vert, an m tech macau vert and there's no way I'm hacking it up for a subwoofer. So I decided the only real way to get bass in the cabin without extensive modding is by having the sub inside the cabin. There are all kinds of slim sub options these days and being inside the cabin they don't have to be large or powerful. I went with a slim 10" in a sealed enclosure in the footwell behind the drivers seat with 250w amp in the trunk. Since I never have 3 passengers in the vert it's not a big deal and removal is not an issue if I had to remove it. It's great to have that hard bass that's nearly impossible to get through the trunk. It's made driving the vert more enjoyable since the stereo competes with the outside noise.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Ok, that makes too much sense. I didn't really consider the "install to make it easy to remove if needed" route.. lol

Which amp do you have? Could you share a picture of the setup?

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      I have a vert, an m tech macau vert and there's no way I'm hacking it up for a subwoofer. So I decided the only real way to get bass in the cabin without extensive modding is by having the sub inside the cabin. There are all kinds of slim sub options these days and being inside the cabin they don't have to be large or powerful. I went with a slim 10" in a sealed enclosure in the footwell behind the drivers seat with 250w amp in the trunk. Since I never have 3 passengers in the vert it's not a big deal and removal is not an issue if I had to remove it. It's great to have that hard bass that's nearly impossible to get through the trunk. It's made driving the vert more enjoyable since the stereo competes with the outside noise.

Comment

Barry's suggestion seems to be the only alternative. You may be able to a 6" or 8" drivers in the rear side panels but dont expect too much heavy bass. Nor would I expect too much bass from those slim profile woofers you linked from crutchfield, especially with an inch or two of foam in front of the driver, it will muffle the bass significantly. Also keep in mind that when you initially hear bass in your car for the first time, your brain will actually get used to it over time and it will sound less and less loud.

If I had a vert and didnt want to install in the trunk, I would build a custom box behind the drivers seat, with a removable speaker wire connector and power it with a 300-500 watt quality amp. I would use a slim woofer from a good brand such as pioneer, JL audio, RF, Kicker, etc. The amp I would mount either under the drivers seat or in trunk. You should be able to build a box around 0.5-0.75 cu.ft and still achieve a slim profile. If you are really looking for deep or heavy bass, you will have no choice but to cut the metal bulkhead.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I have the hacked up” Luke style vert and LOOOOOVE it. 600w on two Infinity Ref ( ol school) My front midbass has 100w of Hafler power on tap for each of the 6.7 inch on a well deadened door, crossed down to 63Hz, and would satisfy many sans sub. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Five5peed; 03-05-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's quite the set up!

I think I'm going to go behind/under seat. Seeing a reputable shop, tomorrow, to discuss further.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
            X