Leaks, Leaks and more Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaks, Leaks and more Leaks

My 1990 convertible has sprung some leaks and I am having a hard time diagnosing where they are coming from.

After a hard rain, the passenger floor (mostly front, but in the rear as well a little) is wet and now I've also noticed wetness in the trunk in the well where the jack is stored.

I don't notice a observable drip from the top seal edge when in the car in the rain.

Anyone know a good shop in NJ that can help diagnose and repair these leaks?

They're easy to diagnose: Get in the car with the top up and the windows closed. Have a friend on the outside of the car with a garden hose. Have him turn on the water and you watch for all of the places it comes in.

Comment

Could be a lot of things. If you’re still running the original seals they have probably shrunk, gotten hard etc. Top and side windows can require adjustment - check if the windows are settling into the seals correctly. Front corners are definitely weak spots.

if you have wet carpet in two spots there may be other things going on than top leaks.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

You’re in luck! James Critchlaw at Total Performance Center nearby in Parsippany NJ is the go-to guy for e30 convertible tops. He has done dozens of them and probably knows more than anyone about fixing them. He’s a R3V member and is nice to work with too.
        We perform repairs and replacements for all convertible tops and specialize in Porsche 996 & 997 and BMW E30. Contact us online or call our shop at (908) 731-7505.
        Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
        1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
        Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
          You’re in luck! James Critchlaw at Total Performance Center nearby in Parsippany NJ is the go-to guy for e30 convertible tops. He has done dozens of them and probably knows more than anyone about fixing them. He’s a R3V member and is nice to work with too.
          Awesome! Thank you so much!

Comment

Nm
            Last edited by pj29; 11-27-2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Leaking from the same spots?

Mine was leaking into the passenger side visor...noticed the alignment cone was worn out so I bought new ones. Now its worse lol

Comment

Nm
                Last edited by pj29; 11-27-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X