E36 Convertible Window Controls into E30 Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 Convertible Window Controls into E30 Convertible

Hello! I just joined the group so I could share my experience installing an E36 GM4 (ZKE) body control module and RMIV relay module into my 325i convertible. I've been asked to share the details of this in the Facebook group but I believe that is a terrible venue for such information. I have been working on cars all of my adult life but I am an amateur. I welcome constructive criticism from anyone with more experience or knowledge.

*** Trigger Warning! The following procedure involves permanent modification to vehicle electrical and mechanical systems. ***

Why?
    The E36 convertible window operation incorporates several improvements over that in the E30. E36s have one-touch up and down on door windows, one-touch down on rear windows, and a master switch with one touch-down for all windows simultaneously. E36 convertible door windows also drop about an inch when the doors are opened and go back up after they close thus achieving tighter contact with the upper seal without hanging up. The high current motor circuits go through relays so there is no damage to window switch contacts which plague so many E30s. All of these features are desirable to me so I chose to adapt the system to my ‘92 325i convertible.

I have not yet succeeded in getting the one-touch up to work. There may be another control circuit that needs to be powered up or I’m just not performing the learning procedure correctly. Everything else works as it should.

Things you’ll need:
    • E36 convertible GM4 (ZKE) with connectors (or reprogramed sedan module)
    • E36 convertible or sedan RMIV (Relay Module 4)
    • E36 front window motors with connectors
    • E36 front window regulators (to be sacrificed)
    • E36 small base window switches (2 green, 2 white, 1 blue) with connectors
    • E30 driver’s side door jamb switch (PN 61311370805)
    E30 vs E36 Window Motors and Regulators
    The motors share the same mounting points and outside dimensions and position of the drive gear but there are differences which necessitate modification of the E30 regulators. While the E30 has a floating drive gear, the E36 has an extended gear shaft supported by a bushing in the regulator. The E36 motor’s gear housing is weaker and may flex without this support causing the mechanism to jam. I cut the bushing mount out of the E36 regulators and epoxied them onto my E30 regulators. They could also probably be welded but I don't have a machine. The E36 motor also interferes with the E30 regulator in three places so the regulators must be ground to provide clearance.

Wiring
    The GM4 has 5 connectors (X10182, X13252, X13253, X13254, and X13255), and the RMIV has one (X13258). The pin assignments are as follows with those associated with the window functions highlighted:
    X10182 Small Black Connector
    Pin Function Color (German) E30 Chassis
    1 Crash Signal BR/SW/GR
    2 Light Signal GR/BL
    3 X
    4 Fuse 43 VI/WS Switched Power OBC pin 13 VI/WS
    5 Ground BR/OR Window Switch Ground
    6 X
    7 Horn Relay (Alpine)
    8 X
    9 Data Link RxD WS/GE
    10 X
    11 Data Link TxD WS/GE
    12 Start Signal SW/GN SW/GE OBC Start
    13 X
    14 X
    15 EWS II SW/GN
    16 X
    17 X
    18 12 V constant RT Const. Power OBC pin 6 RT/WS
    X13252 Large Black Connector
    1 Door Lock Motors Lock Signal
    2 Door Locks Voltage Supply
    3 Door Lock Heater BR/GR
    4 Automatic Interior Lights RT/SW
    5 X
    6 Left Window Motor Voltage Supply VI/WS SW
    7 Right Window Motor Voltage Supply BL/GN SW/BL
    8 12 Volt Constant 30 A Fuse RT/BL GN/BL Hot side of window breaker (breaker removed)
    9 Trunk Locks Signal
    10 12 Volt 25 A RT/GN
    11 Interior Lights Voltage Supply VI/SW
    12 Interior Lights Fuse 33
    13 Left Window Motor Signal SW/WS VI
    14 Right Window Motor Signal GE/GN VI/BL
    15 Ground BR Window Switch Ground
    X13253 Yellow Connector
    1 Driver Door Lock Motor Position Signal WS/GN
    2 Pass Door Lock Motor Position Signal WS/GN
    3 Trunk Lock Motor Lock Signal WS/GN/GE
    4 Anti Theft Data Signal
    5 X
    6 X
    7 SRS Control Crash Signal BR/SW
    8 Left Hall Effect Sensor Signal SW/GR
    9 Right Hall Effect Sensor Signal GE/GR
    10 X
    11 X
    12 X
    13 Door Lock Switches WS/RT
    14 Driver Door Lock Signal WS/SW
    15 Pass Door Lock Signal WS/GR
    16 Trunk Lock Signal WS/BL
    17 Anti Theft Data Signal
    18 X
    19 Central Lock Signal RT/GN/GE
    20 E/A Data Signal (RMIV pin 12) GN/RT
    21 X
    22 X
    23 Left Hall Effect Sensor Power SW
    24 Right Hall Effect Sensor Power GE/SW
    25 X
    26 Trunk Lights Voltage Supply
    X13254 Green Connector
    1 Driver Door Handle Switch
    2 Driver Door Jamb Switch BR/GR/GE Door Chime side of switch
    3 Pass Door Jamb Switch BR/BL/GE 2nd side of new switch
    4 Convertible Trunk Lid Switch GN/WS/GE
    5 Pass Rear Door Switch
    6 Driver Door Window Switch Open VI/WS
    7 Driver Door Window Switch Close SW/WS
    8 Pass Door Window Switch Open WS/GN
    9 Pass Door Window Switch Close BL/GN
    10 Sedan Child Protection Switch
    11 X
    12 X
    13 X
    14 Trunk Lid Switch Signal
    15 Data Signal (RMIV pin 10) BL/GE
    16 Data Signal (RMIV pin 11) SW/RT
    17 Data Signal (RMIV pin 13) WS/RT
    18-26 X
    X13255 Natural Connector
    1 Data Signal (RMIV pin 1) SW/RT
    2 LR Window Switch Open SW/GE
    3 RR Window Switch Open SW/RT
    4 Master Window Switch Open WS/GN
    5 Data Signal Convertible Top Control WS/GE
    6 X
    7 Data Signal (RMIV pin 9) SW/GR
    8 LR Window Switch Close BL/GN
    9 RR Window Switch Close BL/GE
    10 Master Window Switch Close WS/GE
    11 Data Signal Convertible Top Control WS/GR
    12-26 X
    X13258 White Connector RMIV
    1 Data Signal SW/RT
    2 LR Window Motor Power BL/GN LR Window Motor
    3 LR Window Motor Signal SW/GE LR Window Motor
    4 RR Window Motor Signal BL/RT RR Window Motor
    5 RR Window Motor Power WS/GE RR Window Motor
    6 X
    7 X
    8 Ground BR Window Switch Ground
    9 Data Signal SW/GR
    10 Data Signal BL/GE
    11 Data Signal SW/RT
    12 Data Signal GN/RT
    13 Data Signal WS/RT
    14 X
    15 12 V Constant 30 A RT/GN Cigarette Lighter RT/GE
    18-26
    The E30 cuts power to the window circuit during cranking via unloader relay 5 which provides power only in run. If we get power from this circuit as is, the windows will not function as intended when the doors open. The E36 GM4 receives a start signal to cut power during cranking, so unloader relay 5 is no longer needed. Pull the relay and put a jumper wire in place to provide constant power to the window circuit.

Whereas the E30 has a single 30 A circuit for all four windows, the E36 uses two 30 A circuits. Since I’ll never use the cigarette lighter for more than USB charging, I grabbed power for the rear window GMIV from there. It may not be necessary, but I took the added precaution because I don’t think the E30 electrical system was designed with the idea of operating all four windows simultaneously.

Power and ground for the window switch illumination comes from the ashtray bulb wires. All grounds are connected to the unused window switch grounds. You must run dedicated wires to the front doors for the hall effect sensors (power, signal, and ground). You must also create a separate circuit for each door jamb switch. As they are wired in the E30, the two door jamb switches are connected to the dome light ground. If you tap into this for your door open signal, both windows will drop when you open the driver door and stay down until the dome light timer goes out. The driver side switch has two terminals, the second being for the seatbelt warning and door chime. I unplugged that wire and connect the GM4 to the switch. The passenger side switch only has one terminal so I replaced it with a driver side switch and connected the second terminal to the GM4.

I didn’t document which wire I connected for the rear windows. I wired all of the window motors with the system powered so I could confirm polarity. I suggest doing the same before you make any of the connections permanent. I cut all of the E30 window switch connectors off and soldered all wires. You may wish to retain the connectors and use some type of spade connector. I also cut the connectors off of the E30 window motors and wired them to the E36 connectors.
    Attached Files

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230305_134906.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.6 KB ID:	10088181 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230311_134724.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	10088177 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230311_134744.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	10088178 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230315_184450.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.4 KB ID:	10088179 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230319_163633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.7 KB ID:	10088180
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey, that's good work. I'm a little put off as I never got an e36 switch conversion to work. If I ever get my swap done I might just try it. Thanks for posting and a great write up. May I ask how much parts cost you and if you got them at a junkyard?

Comment

Everything but the door jamb switch came from a junkyard. I got it all for less than $200.

Comment

Thanks for posting this! Agree that FB sucks for anything that takes an attention span longer than 30 seconds.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Working...
          X